Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
11,000 Posts
Wow! it still has the correct air cleaner and carb! Nice car for someone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am currently trying to find parts for a 67 xr7 s code with disk brakes. I too looked at the 7F93S612240 Idaho 67 s code on E-bay for sale and was happy to see the air cleaner that appeared on that car. I was under the impression that, that style, was for the 67 thunderbird. The Idaho car has drum brakes and is a May 67 production. Mine is an early March car with the GT emblems. In trying to get the right air clraner for my car I thought I needed the dual inlet with screens and chrome cover. The kind that can be made with the base of the one that is shown on the Idaho cat.
Questions.. When did the dual inlet style get installed on the Cougar?
Does the fact that brake choice had anything to do with it?
Am I wrong and dual opening air cleaner came out in 68?
Is the red anodized altenator spacer correct?
Also, parts of the Idaho car seem to make me think that it is not as original as it appears. I.e. overhead console color,distributer, no clutch on fan and wrong fan, red grill center.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
no, you are correct. the car in idaho is not a gt. your is. gt means disc brakes, different air cleaner, different sway bar etc

·
11,000 Posts
Do you have a Marti Report for your car? The "S" engine code does not necessarily mean the car is a GT. Often people add the GT badges to non - GT cars. The snorkle air cleaner was used on non - GT "S" code cars. The air cleaner with dual screens was used on the GT cars.

The red spacer is correct. Power disc brakes were standard on the GT, optional on other "S" code Cougars. I used to own a '67 "S" code 6.5 Litre that had power drum brakes.

I am currently trying to find parts for a 67 xr7 s code with disk brakes. I too looked at the 7F93S612240 Idaho 67 s code on E-bay for sale and was happy to see the air cleaner that appeared on that car. I was under the impression that, that style, was for the 67 thunderbird. The Idaho car has drum brakes and is a May 67 production. Mine is an early March car with the GT emblems. In trying to get the right air clraner for my car I thought I needed the dual inlet with screens and chrome cover. The kind that can be made with the base of the one that is shown on the Idaho cat.
Questions.. When did the dual inlet style get installed on the Cougar?
Does the fact that brake choice had anything to do with it?
Am I wrong and dual opening air cleaner came out in 68?
Is the red anodized altenator spacer correct?
Also, parts of the Idaho car seem to make me think that it is not as original as it appears. I.e. overhead console color,distributer, no clutch on fan and wrong fan, red grill center.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts