Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lurking for some time now and decided to introduce myself... My name is Bill, my two sons Beau (the dark haired smaller one) and Hunter (the big guy) are restoring a 67 A code Cougar. Beau's EFI 68 XR7 was crushed by a snow laden limb last winter so it is going to donate some parts before it becomes a track car.

Any way, I have had a couple mustangs over the years and have applied what little knowledge I have to this "Rustification" :bloated:

Pics from the CL ad...

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We knew the floors were gone, and that the cowl was probably to blame... come to find out the car has sat since ~ 1985 under a tarp with the quarter windows cracked a 1/4 inch. The trunk floor has some rust at the tank as well as the bumper supports.

The A code 289 was "seized up" according to the owner, we cut the belt and threw a pry bar on the lower pulley and she turned right over... Water pump was completely solid with rust and aluminum. Electrolysis is an interesting thing...

Plan is to run her with the 289 until we can get her converted over to the 68's 5.0 SEFI setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car came with a console and what I think is the deluxe interior? Any way as you can see it soon was pulled out and the entire car stripped down for new pans...

This is a budget build and we are hoping to keep final costs under 5K. :uhoh: That means alot of part recycling, fabricating and "hand me downs" from dad. My boys are doing 90% of the work as I recently had surgery on my hands... they seem to have it under control with a bit of direction from the old man.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let the fun begin...

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is being built as a driver for both my boys to get to and from work / school. The plan is to upgrade the brakes to power disk using a medley of Mustang components. Shelby mod the front suspension, update the steering, upgraded lighting, 17" Bullit wheels and tires, intermittent wipers, fuel injection, better gearing, killer sound system, interior, solid state sequencers, electric headlight doors, and to keep it as safe as possible for them... I know its a 40+ year old piece of Detroit iron, and not a Honda or Volvo... but they were given the option of a later model econo box and chose the Cougar... Don't know where they go that from...:burnout:

Any suggestions on any of these mods/updates or others that we missed would be appreciated greatly...

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Looks like you guys should be nominated to the ECI club. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
The car came with a console and what I think is the deluxe interior?
The 67 Cougars were only offered with two interior styles, standard or XR-7. Some people call the 67 standard interior deluxe because in 1968 there were three interior styles, standard, deluxe, and XR-7. The 1968 deluxe interior is very close to being the same as the 1967 standard interior.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
505 Posts
Welcome! You look to have made alot of progress already. Jenny and I will love watching the progress. My wife ... not so much.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks you for the clarification Cathouse it is appreciated..

Mr. Bundy... what is the ECI club? Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the support on her, I'll post more pics of the progress we have made thus far and as we go along.

Bill

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some pics of the boys starting the floor board R&R... We found it odd that the 67 didn't have a passenger side torque box unlike the 68... The frame rails were in great shape with no rust at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Both pans and toe boards welded in, seam sealed, painted and ready for sound deadener and the interior. We jambed it and painted the dash at the same time.

For now the car will be Satin black until they can afford to equip themselves properly or have it professionally painted. I suck at paint and body and really don't want to offer any advice. :uhoh:

Attachments

·
Registered
336 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me the projects that are taken on. Good luck, it sounds like you have everything under control. BTW IMHO, the interior looks like a XR7 with that hole above the glovebox.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Thanks you for the clarification Cathouse it is appreciated..

Mr. Bundy... what is the ECI club? Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the support on her, I'll post more pics of the progress we have made thus far and as we go along.

Bill
You are welcome on the interior question. ECI stands for East Coast Idiot. This was first coined or given to Bob E, 69XR7VERT on here. While this may sound like a bad thing it really is a term of endearment. Or sympathy depending upon ones outlook. The term is now given to anyone who is willing to take on a rusty project and see it through. A recent thread on here about the purple to silver build was awarded the WCI term since the owner is on the West Coast. If you do a search here you should be able to find Bob's VERY detailed reports of his rebuild of a 1969 XR-7 convertible. This is the car and build that earned him the ECI title. I'm surprised that Bob has not chimed in on this thread yet. Anyway, now you know.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You are welcome on the interior question. ECI stands for East Coast Idiot. This was first coined or given to Bob E, 69XR7VERT on here. While this may sound like a bad thing it really is a term of endearment. Or sympathy depending upon ones outlook. The term is now given to anyone who is willing to take on a rusty project and see it through. A recent thread on here about the purple to silver build was awarded the WCI term since the owner is on the West Coast. If you do a search here you should be able to find Bob's VERY detailed reports of his rebuild of a 1969 XR-7 convertible. This is the car and build that earned him the ECI title. I'm surprised that Bob has not chimed in on this thread yet. Anyway, now you know.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Here I am! And here is the thread.

Sorry, I have been a little preoccupied lately with the effects of storm Sandy. Here's a picture of where Sandy cut a new "inlet" from the ocean to the bay in Mantoloking (which leads directly to the Metedeconk river where our boat is kept), causing the river to rise some 8 feet above normal in a very short period of time and taking our (and many other) boats off their dry dock blocks, whacking them together like toys and strewing them all over the place. Ocean at the bottom of the picture, bay (which leads to the river) toward the top. Routes 35 South and North, gone. I understand there is a house stuck under the bridge.

Luckily I had the foresight to put the bilge plug back in after our boat was hauled and (believe it or not) threw the anchor into the lagoon the boat was stored right beside. These things helped greatly to minimize the damage but there was considerable damage just the same. The boat of course came to rest on top of cement blocks and the ground laid over to one side (and on top of it's props and prop shafts, trims tabs, etc.) when the water subsided.

Devastation in a lot of places and power will continue to be out for some for a long time to come. to top it off, colder weather has arrived, close to freezing at night. We got our power back a couple of days ago and overall we faired well, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't profoundly affected by what has happened around here. It is hard to read any news about it without becoming upset. Have started avoiding it and been working really hard at getting our life back in order, partly as therapy.

Sorry for the OT part of this post but like I said, I have been a little preoccupied...

Welcome screamin_67 and Regards all,

Bob

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow Bob, glad to hear that you and your family are safe... possessions can be easily replaced.

As far as the ECI thing goes, I guess I'm a WCI as I'm in Oregon, up on the soggy Oregon / Washington border.

Thanks for the compliments, I'll pass them on to the boys as motivation.

Bill

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Found out that 67 only lower control arms are significantly higher priced than the 68 to ~73 units. I popped the the wheel off of the 68 to note the differences. 1 hole is staggered for the 67 strut rod while the 68 is straight across. I took a chance and ordered a set of the later model to modify for the 67. I figured at $22.00 a piece shipped what did I have to lose?

Measured out the holes, transferred that to the new arm, drilled them and slapped 'em on with the '70 Mustang disk brake setup I had laying around. I also had to spot weld the bushings in as the press fit sucked. The aftermarket arms are a bit lighter duty than the originals. I'll rebuild the originals and plate the bottoms eventually as spares.

At this point we performed the Shelby mod to the upper control arm mount. No need to go into depth on that as it is a common enough mod and well documented on the internet.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Pulled the rear end and decided to freshen it up a bit, not spending big money here as the car will eventually get a 9 with disks. Simply inspect, clean, replace what is needed and refinish/replace. The car is really low mile and the rear end looks great inside. We decided to replace the brake shoes, wheels cylinders, shocks, brake hose. Hunter took lead on this.

Once we can test drive the car I'll put a few miles on it and check things over again for leaks and noises.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
While the boys have been working on the body and suspension, I've been putting the 289 back together and planning the EFI swap. All while trying to integrate the additional mods into the car as we move along so we aren't back-tracking or re-doing / replacing stuff twice. Anyway, we learned from the 68 SEFI swap that the factory export braces do not fit, and are pretty flimsy anyway... I checked the aftermarket, had a heart attack and decided I could do it better at a much better price. PLUS I get the "cool dad" award :evil:

The fabricated setup below, fits the carbed and EFi intakes, I can move the MC bar to the top of the bracket for distributor / plug wire clearance if it becomes an issue. The angle iron used is 1/8 x 1-1/2 all plates are 1/4 laser cut tabs. The tubing is .065 1" DOM and the Heims are 7/16 RH and LH for adjust-ability. The firewall bracket is bolted in to the original holes as well as through the firewall to a sandwich plate. I think it should do the job nicely.

This post brings us up to date, pretty much the car is how you see it. We are busy rebuilding everything inside from the heater box to the quarter windows, to the harness to the pedal assembly. Nothin' like mother nature to slow down a build.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 92 Posts