Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While in Arkansas last weekend I visited an old aunt of mine. I knew when I was a little kid that back in the woods behind her house there used to be a couple sedans from the 40's or 50's....I thought I'd walk back and see if they were still around. I couldn't believe what I found.......a 67 cougar with bullet holes all through it.......apparently has been back there a long time. It turns out it was a cousin of mine's car years ago. I've been given permission to take anything I want off of it so next time I go down I'll take the tools I need and strip some parts.
How do you go about taking the rear quarter emblems off without damaging the mounting studs? Any hints would be appreciated........Keith

·
Registered
406 Posts
The 67 emblems will be different then those that should go on your 68, but if you want them anyway you just open the trunk and on the inside of the fender you'll see some studs poking threw that are secured by nuts, so just find the right tool and unbolt them from the fender and slip them off. Save the nuts, they're special and somewhat hard to find. - Chad

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really wish I'd have had my camera this time but will try and have it when I go back. Most of you can probably appreciate my amazement when I started noticing what it was from a distance, I came up on it from the front and the grill and all up front is really nice still.....one headlight door was open and one shut. I hope to get what there is left before someone takes more target practice on it!!!
As far as the quarter emblems.....I don't want them for my 68, but expect fully to own a 67 sometime and anyways I've been buying and selling parts to accumulate a stock of parts of these cars for the past year. I've already accumulated some rare pieces and hope to find G parts as I know for a fact that I will put together an XR7G at some point.
On the quarter emblems again.......the deck lid was open or missing.....I can't remember.....but I looked inside trunk and all I saw was the studs sticking through......no nuts. That's why I am asking.....the driver's side emblem wasn't in too good a shape so I just pulled it off and it broke the studs. The passenger side one looked pretty good,though, and so when I go back I want to remove it without damage. Any hints?........ It felt tight even though there were no nuts on backside, I slipped my pocketknife blade behind it and it felt tight still and I don't want to break it. Thanks for responses......Keith

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Modified7 ,

Take a flat piece of medal and lay over the the mounting
studs on the inside of the quarter panel, then tap on the medal
very gently. Try to tap over each stud being carful not to
tap too hard or too far and bend the frame of the emblem. You need to work it out evenly.

Catman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts