Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It now seems obvious that the location of the PS bracket and the pathing of my power steering hoses are not correct.
They are going past the exhaust manifolds then through the bracket then to the power steering valve.
When looking down into the engine bay from the driver side the bracket an hoses are facing up towards me next to exhaust manifolds
In most pictures it looks like the hose bracket is point down with the hoses being just above the bottom of the oil pan and the path of the hoses coming up near the oil filter then connecting to power steering pump.

This all makes sense to get the hoses away from the manifolds.
My problem is I can't find where the hose bracket would mount to path the hoses that way

Would any one be able to share any picture of where that bracket is mounted...

Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
What you describe is correct for a small block engine. On big block engines, due to the wider engines and manifold, the had to reroute the hoses down under the engine bay.

There should be two rubber retaining straps holding the hoses away from the manifolds. They were made from old tire casing and are almost always long gone. Unfortunately they are not reproduced..

I have some great pics to show the correct 289 routing, and if you look closely you can see the straps. Unfortunately I can’t get them loaded. I need more posts it seems.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Excellent pictures, just what I needed, Thank you.
I guess its been correct all this time excluding the use of straps.
Your right about the straps, they're gone. There was a half strap left but I had no idea what it was there for.
I am still a bit concerned with the pressure side power steering hose and its connection to the power steering valve. Even with the bends in the hose the metal part that connects to the valve its still real close to the pitman arm. I noticed the other day that there is a dent in the metal part of the hose that I assume was the result of some how being pinched by the pitman arm during turns. But I cant see any other way to route the hose to avoid the close proximity to the pitman arm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Post a pic of your control valve and hoses. They may not be in the correct position, and they should have a hose clamp around them to keep them from moving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts