Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a bit suprised at how TAME the exhaust note is on my 'GT. It sounds good, don't get me wrong. But I can see how 5hp was added to the '68 GT's specs if only from the addition of a different setup. As much as I love having the original system on the car, I am wondering if I'd be smart to take it off and preserve it and put something with a little more oomph on it for driving. I love the sound on my 302, as it is an aftermarket setup that Sandy must have liked because it sounded pretty racy ;)

I'd accomplish two things-preserving a really nice system forever (or to add back on should I ever sell the car); and have a little more fun with something different. She just doesn't "sound" like a GT. The Cougar was really an understated sleeper in her day as a GT, apparently. No Decals, no loud exhaust, no stripes or fancy exhaust tips, no hood scoop..Just those cleaming GT letters on the front fender. With a vinyl top, she's just an executive-type of factory hot-rod..

All that aside, I'll say this-with the 4 speed, it is an absolute HOOT to drive, especially with that lockin' rear 3.25. I'm really enjoying feeling the difference between a GT's suspension and steering setup vs. the standard Cougars system. I had no idea how different they felt. Riders always comment at how quiet and smooth the ride is in the standard. In the GT, it's a firmer ride and the steering feel, although 40 years old and loose, is definitely quicker than that of the regular Cougar when going straight from one car to the other.

This is the perfect rear end and tranny setup, as far as I'm concerned! I'm not going to "daily drive" the car, but on clear days I sure will be enjoying her on a regular basis:)

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Big block/4 speed with a reasonable greared t-lok is magnificent, I agree!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
the GT's in 67 did get the quicker/shorter steering box ratio than all the small block cars.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some new Wheels/tires would really add handling..never mind..

MUST...RESIST...Modifications...!!

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
That Transverse system is a little deceiving, quiet with a light pedal but noticable with a heavy foot. Stand outside and have someone rev it and you'll know what I mean and thats what people hear. Inside the car it's a little more quiet because the resonators are under the rear floorboards and the muffler is next to the gas tank. Less vibration inside the passenger compartment too. I really enjoy driving mine. 427 foot pounds of torque at 3200 rpm. Not too far behind the 427 and 428CJ. The GTs are sleepers!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That Transverse system is a little deceiving, quiet with a light pedal but noticable with a heavy foot. Stand outside and have someone rev it and you'll know what I mean and thats what people hear. Inside the car it's a little more quiet because the resonators are under the rear floorboards and the muffler is next to the gas tank. Less vibration inside the passenger compartment too. I really enjoy driving mine. 427 foot pounds of torque at 3200 rpm. Not too far behind the 427 and 428CJ. The GTs are sleepers!
That's very true about the placement of the system and interior noise level..It's a pretty cool system. I imagine it's a pretty heavy system too! Titanium straight pipes would probably shave about 75 lbs ;) (unfortunately off the rear end, mostly)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts