Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for a 1967-68 cougar as a restoration project. Today I looked at one in Mesa, Az which had a registration, and an owner, declaring the car as a 1967 vehicle. The VIN, as is displayed ON the registration, the dash tag, and the door sill tag, is 8R93J511312. Clearly a 1968 VIN. There was NO VIN stamped on the inner fender support, although there has been some partial sheetmetal replacement. Also, the dash tag is located on the passenger side, which is specific to 1968 only. Sooo, is there ANY possible way this car can be a 1967? or is this most likely a clerical error? I have yet to see the title, I will meet with the owner in the next few days.:confused:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Definitely a '68 if the VIN starts with 8 (especially since you looked in multiple places). The other obvious thing to look for (in case you don't already know) is whether or not it has side marker lights and rear reflectors. These were added in 68. 67 just had rectangular badges on the rear quarters, and no marker lights on the front fenders. And BTW, a J code is a pretty good candidate, being a 302-4v. We can tell you more about it if you post the door tag info. Welcome to the forum and good luck with the search!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
m73013;

You mention you did not see any VIN's stamped on the inner fender supports. Did you look under the fender lips in the area where the cutouts are. All the 1968's I have seen the numbers have been hidden from view unlike the 1967's which were visible. Welcome to the insanity

·
Registered
669 Posts
sounds like it's a 68. I had the same thing happen when i bought my barracuda. Owner said it was a '68, but it turned out to be a '69. Turned out to be a stroke of luck on that one since they only made 3014 convertible barracuda's in '69. The 93 in your vin also means it was built in San Jose.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The 93 in your vin also means it was built in San Jose.
Actually, the 93 in the VIN means it's an XR-7. The R in the VIN means it was built in San Jose. John

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
The guy is an idiot. In Arizona they do an inspection of the vehicle in order to obtain title. This means that the title must match the VIN numbers as they appear on the car. If he has a registration documnet, as required by law, that shows the vehicle is a '68 and the numbers match, the seller is just mistaken about the year.

·
Registered
669 Posts
OOps, yes my bad. 93 = xr7, R = san jose. It was late and my brain was fried!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts