Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of a 67s or 68s made with a 2 speed rear axle. Less than 500 of them made. Was it just an option or was it part of a package? I am wondering what kind of axle it was, disc or drum, how wide, what axle ratios in both speeds. There might be only a dozen of these left. How hard would it be to find one of these axles? Direct email--- [email protected]

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
There was a 2 speed rear end prototype featured in Car Craft, Hot Rod or another one of those magazines for the 1969 preview. None were actually made from any sources I've seen. A great idea, too bad they never followed through. Anybody ever seen one??????

·
11,000 Posts
Dana Spicer was originally proposing to sell the two speed rear as an original equipment item and it was featured in a 1969 Cougar prototype in a test in Car Craft magazine. Nothing came of that venture, no others were produced.

There was another two speed rear axle made by Hone engineering in the early 1970's. This unit replaced the center section of any 9" rear axle, the only modification to the car needed was to shorten the drive shaft. Thase units were popular in mobile homes, you might get lucky if you know an RV dealer who has some wrecked Ford chassis RV's. The company went out of business around 1980 and repair parts may be a problem nowadays.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I have a copy of Hot Rod that has their test of the new Cougar Eliminator with 2 speed rearend. As I recall it went into enough detail to explain how it worked. Pretty interesting. If I remember correctly the Elim that they tested was a prototype - had XR7 interior and a 428. If anyone is interested I can scan it this weekend and email you a copy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts