Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in Southern California. I am selling my GT 390. It is about 75% ready for show car status. I can be reached at: 909.766.0239; email: [email protected]. I am not desperate to sell, but I am negotiable to a reasonable degree on price. We will start at 9K and go down -- or up from there. Full description follows below.

This is an original, special ordered, white on black 'S' code GT390 collector piece. It has the original, black vinyl interior, original, chrome, 'Powered By Ford' valve covers, and an original Ford Holley 4b carb. Other specs: C6 auto trans; 9 inch rear end; ac; power brakes. I am the second owner. The miles are low at 145000. The following has been rebuilt: transmission; differential; carb; ac pump; engine; and distributor . The following are new: starter; water pump; fuel pump; brakes; front shocks; rear air shocks; weld racing aluminum rims; cooper performance tires; upper control arm bushings; ball joints; inner/outer tie rod ends; power valve; fuel tank; and exhaust system. This classic muscle car is truly bad-ass!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
What does "original, special ordered, C code, GT390" mean? Are you referring to the original engine code of "C" or something else?

·
Registered
563 Posts
It looks like a "6.5 Litre" Cougar not a "GT" Cougar based on the fender badge in the picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the confusion caused by the typo. It has been corrected. It should read "S," not "C." That should clarify the meaning for the engine code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This car was specially ordered. The badge is ornamented for special orders only. The car has the complete GT390 drive-line in it -- down to the Ford Holly Carburetor. I accidentally put C code. It is, in fact, an S code.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This car was specially ordered. The badge is ornamented for special orders only. The car has the complete GT390 drive-line in it -- down to the Ford Holly Carburetor. I accidentally put C code. It is, in fact, an S code.

Hi, There is a difference between a "6.5 Litre" and "GT" Cougar. They both have the "S" code 390 4V engine. However, the "GT" was an equipment option package that included other special high performance equipment in addition to the 390 4V GT engine. More information regarding the difference can be found below:

http://www.cougarclub.org/registry/Cougars101/gt.aspx

Good luck with the sale.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for the info. The thing missing from the GT package on this car is the brakes. Should we, therefore, classify this as a non-GT? I am going to get a Marti Report done on the car. I will post the info tomorrow.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thank you very much for the info. The thing missing from the GT package on this car is the brakes. Should we, therefore, classify this as a non-GT? I am going to get a Marti Report done on the car. I will post the info tomorrow.

What you have is a "6.5 Litre" Cougar not a "GT". In order for it to be a "GT" Cougar it would have to have been ordered with the "GT equipment group" option package from the factory. This information is listed on the Marti report if you have a "GT" and it will be listed under features as "GT Equipment Group". Here's another link that lists more items that were/are part of the "GT" option package.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/mercury-cougar/mercury-cougar-history.shtml

·
Registered
564 Posts
If it is a GT the Marti will specifically call it out. True the PDB was not a mandatory extra cost option like on the 68.5 Mustangs. I have a Marti for a couple of the "500" cars one a GT and one not. The GT is the drum brake car just like the above mentioned R Cougar. All R code 68 Mustangs have the extra cost mandatory PDB option. In 69 it became just an extra cost option and quite a few SCJ car were build with the drums on all 4 corners. It is interesting that Merc was different for 68.

·
Registered
563 Posts
What did the Marti report show?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys called it. Kerry called it. The Marti did not "call out" the GT package. It is a 6.5L that came equipped with the 390 engine. Also, I discovered it was not a California car. Why that makes It more or less precious? I don't know. Maybe someone could explain. It is still an original car, and it is in good shape. I wish someone would make me an offer on it. I guess it is time to post on Craigslist. The tires have been kicked long enough.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Best of luck with the sale man. Classic hot rod cars have a lot of looky loos and everyone has an opinion on them which they aren't shy about sharing. (including myself ;) )

If you are really looking to sell it you might want to do a bit more research on comparable 67 390 S code cats. Be fair with your assesment of the condition though.

If you aren't in a hurry to sell hold your ground and wait for the right buy who just can't say no :) If you need a quick sale though you might want to check out some of the other 67 big blocks on the market over the last couple months.

·
Registered
563 Posts
comment removed.

·
Registered
563 Posts
comment removed.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can someone clarify the fender badges for me.

Specifically, which 1968 cars had the 6.5 litre badges? Was it just non-GT 390-4Vs? Or did X codes have some badges also?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Can someone clarify the fender badges for me.

Specifically, which 1968 cars had the 6.5 litre badges? Was it just non-GT 390-4Vs? Or did X codes have some badges also?
The non-GT with the 390-4Vs had the 6.5 litre badges.
I thought the 68 X codes were suppose to have them also, but I looked at a picture of Harvey's X code after he bought it and it didn't have the badges. John

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I believe the X codes were supposed to have them as well.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I believe the X codes were supposed to have them as well.
All XR7-Gs with the 390 (s code and x code) got them also.
Your right Al and I forgot about the G's propayne, thanks. I just looked in my Body Assembly Manual page 28 and it confirms it even more, for all models with 390-2V and 390-4V non-GTs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts