Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd start a build up thread for my 67 cougar. It will be a slow going process though. So dont hold your breath. LOL

My cougar had been in a front end collision at sometime in its life, so the front aprons were all banged up as well as the radiator support. Heres some pics of the damaged area.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So my first steps were to completely strip down the car. Of course thats where you find more problems, but Im working on one thing at a time to make it seem easier. So I buy some spotweld cutters and go to work.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I dediced to stay with the stock suspension instead of going with a Mustang 2 kit, I just didnt want to drop that kind of money at time on the car. However, my shock towers have been through hell it looks like. So I needed to either replace or repair them. I decided to go with notching the shock towers and bracing them. I plan to put a 351C in the cougar, so a little extra room will be a nice feature. I started by replacing the front crossmember first to make sure the frame rails stayed square before I cut half the towers away.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I cut some 3/16" steel plate to patch the shock towers back together. There is still some final welding (on the back side of the towers) and some more clean up of the welds to do. I also drilled new upper a arm holes for the shelby drop.
And this is where I am at as of now. I have the front sheetmetal and most the suspension and front granada discs waiting to go in, just need to keep working away at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind words, I left out how I messed up on the drivers side tower and cut too far back on one side. Oh well, nothing a little patch job cant fix. Luckily its on the side facing the firewall so its not visible unless you look hard.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Hey that's the way it is when you do metal work. Sometimes you get it wrong or a bit off and you fix it. No biggie.

You'll be very happy with the notching. It makes life with a Cleveland an easier proposition.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Looking really good! Very ambitious, keep it up!

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
Looks good!

Nice thread.............I'll be replacing the pass. side inner fenders on my '67 soon, so keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wouldnt ya know it, start welding a little more, make a few tacks, then a short bead and then.. nothing, ran out of welding wire. Oh well, maybe I should buy the 8lb spool this time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I finished welding on the shock towers and then got a little ahead of myself and mocked up the rest of the sheetmetal with some clamps. I am very unhappy with the Pass. front apron. The fitment is total crap. It is the made in Canada one, isnt it supposed to be better than the others? Anyway the rad support and Drivers front apron seem like a good fit. I ordered a new pass apron from M.U. Hopefully it will fit better than the other one.
I also measured a co-workers 1967 cougar and got these engine bay dimensions / measurements to help me put mine back together right.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I have the same experience as you with the pass side front apron. I have used the same one on a 67 Mustang GT I restored and when it finally looked OK and fit the car I realized I probably had spent more time working on it than it would have been to make it from scratch.
Nice work by the way, I'm looking forward to see more. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow its been a long time since I started this thread, but like I said it is a slowly progressing build up. Well I am finally ready to weld the front engine bay back together, I have all the panels fitted and mocked up. I used sheetmetal screws to hold it all together. Heres some pics of the progress.

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/67LMN8R/1967 Cougar Project/TheRebuild018.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/67LMN8R/1967 Cougar Project/TheRebuild019.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/67LMN8R/1967 Cougar Project/TheRebuild020.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/67LMN8R/1967 Cougar Project/TheRebuild021.jpg

http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac53/67LMN8R/1967 Cougar Project/TheRebuild022.jpg

Hopefully soon, maybe this weekend, I can weld it all up and move forward.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW. Art, thanks for sharing your album. I went through the whole thing. You are very talented. It is very inspiring.
Do you have any more pics of how you mini tubbed the car?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
WOW. Art, thanks for sharing your album. I went through the whole thing. You are very talented. It is very inspiring.
Do you have any more pics of how you mini tubbed the car?
Thanks again.
Thanks!
The mini tub is really pretty easy. There is between 1" and 3" of space between the inner wheelhouse and the frame rail. I bought a pair of new inner wheelhouses, cut the mounting flange off and mounted them directly to the frame rail.
Involves a lot of fitting and trimming but you gain a lot of space. Even more if you can find someone to make you a narrow spring.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got it all welded up. Just need to clean up the welds some and move along to inner shock tower braces and then prepping the engine bay for a coat of primer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts