Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

can anyone tell me where the headlight hoses are supposed to go when they leave the fender mounted "switch"? I have two that go towards the firewall. I read that one is for vacuum from either the intake or the brake's booster... but that leaves me with one more... it appears as though the old one went inside the car to somewhere under the dash, but this car was out in the desert for a while and all the hoses are broken off... I've got the headlights all "hosed" hehe, to the fender, and the canister under the fender... just these two others that I'm not sure of what goes where...

Oh yeah, if I start the car? the doors open... the only way to close them is manually with the car off, or the hose pulled off and capped.

HELP?????

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Robert, The other hose does go inside the passenger compartment and not connected to anything...its a vent for the vacuum switch. The vacuum source is usually at the back of the intake manifold...there should be a "tree" to allow the connection. I have a diagram for the vacuum hose routing if you want it ...just give me your email address and I'll send it.
As for the doors opening upon engine startup, assuming all the hoses are in the right places I would check the manual override tab on the vacuum switch on the inner left fender (located on the switch and facing the front of the car...should be a "dirty white" color). Make sure that it is in the extended position, or "all the way up". Or maybe the switch itself is defective or the hoses are not connected right. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah,

That hose routing diagram would help out alot. I've already put like 30 feet of new hose on the car. As for that vacuum dooflinky on the fender, it is extended... I've tried hooking the hoses in other configurations and the doors wouldn't open at all.

I'll take the switch dooflinky off the fender tonight and clean it up..

send the diagram to

[email protected]

Thanks!!!
Robert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey guys, diagram and text has been sent. It's a series of four pictures...sorry for the length of the download :rolleyes: Anyway, the pictures were originally sent to me from "catman". If you need more info just give a shout. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
printed that stuff out... will have to take a look at it tomorrow and see if it's on there properly...

Thanks!

Robert

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here's the scoop... the hoses were swapped I think the vent and source were swapped. Also, in the pic, it shows the canister with two fittings. Mine has only one, but the source is on a y-adapter to the "switch" and the canister.

hooked it all up.. turn on the headlights? doors open.. woohoo... turn off the headlights? doors still open.. damn damn damn. So, checked the thing with a vacuum guage.. nothing on the close side. That little bypass switch felt all crunchy (remember this car was bought after sitting in the desert)... a little wd-40 and everything moves like it's supposed to, there's vacuum everywhere it's supposed to be..

EXCEPT!!! the doors still don't close. I'm guessing the "close" side of the motors isn't working? seals are shot? can these things be taken apart and put new seals in them? huh huh huh?

Thanks again,
Robert

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Glad your making progress:D As for the headlight door motors, I am not aware of a rebuild kit. The motors themselves are available as a rebuilt unit at most Cougar vendors. Before spending money on replacement vacuum motors, maybe try a hand-held vacuum pump to test the motors by applying vacuum to both sides ...you will quickly see if they work or not.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hm, did the hand held vacuum pump to the hoses to each motor (hoses are all new and snug) and nothing, hooked the other way, the hand pump would open them... Maybe I'll toss a little vc-39 in there... hell, if that' doesn't work, I'll even try wd-40. seems to work for EVERYthing on this car...

Thanks again,
Robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts