Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching the site and asked a few people at the nationals but wasn't able to get an answer on how much needs to be removed on the passenger's side headlight door in order to replace the insert and running cat emblem? I opened the doors and was hoping I could drill the rivets out but I think that would be impossible. Do I take the whole assembly out from the inside with the headlight doors closed? It seems impossible to get at without taking a lot out so if anyone has any tricks they can pass along, I'd appreciate it.

Ben

·
Registered
168 Posts
Its really fairly easy you must take out the center piece and remove the springs unplug the lights and swing the whole thing out! west coast classic cougars has a video on it thats very helpful

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Perfect! I checked on youtube to see if there was a video there since that would make it much easier. I'll have to check it out tonight. Thanks!

Ben

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I followed the video on WCCC's website and it worked exactly as Don described. I ended up taking the whole assembly out but realized that you can't get the running cat off without drilling out the rivets of the plate it's attached to in order to get to the rivets that hold the cat on. I didn't want to do that since I wasn't sure how to reattach the whole thing so I ended up drilling through the running cat emblem itself through the front to get it off. I had a new emblem along with the black piece behind it so although I would have liked to have saved the original emblem, I didn't really have a use for it and it saved me from having to reattach the backing plate. Of course I then couldn't use the speed nuts to hold the emblem on, so I had to use some adhesive to keep in in place. All in all though, it went well and looks a million times better. Thanks for the video Don!

Ben

1 - 4 of 4 Posts