Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was offered a 67 Cougar GT390. I have only seen the car from a distance, so I don't have all of the details. What I do know is, The body is in pretty good condition, I saw no visable rust, and the person who is storing the car for the owner, said he hasn't seen any on the car either. It has a decent paint job on it, but may need to be rubbed out as it has been sitting for 4 or 5 months, no body damage that I could see.

The engine was rebuilt and the kid who owned it put the old water pump back on it as to save a few bucks, and had it fail a couple of months later. He parked the car, as he was leaving for college and had no time to work on it.

I haven't seen the interior, nor do I know if it has a/c or manual tranny? From what I have seen, it could very easily be a very nice driver. So is it worth the $2500 he wants for it? How many GT390 were made?

On a side note, I just picked up another 69 Xr7 with PDB, PS, Tilt wheel, Console and a/c for $400. and what's so great about this deal, it is running and drivable.

·
Registered
889 Posts
buy it

It sounds like a good buy,you could double your money where I live on the (North Coast) A big block too go for it Dan:1poke:

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
They sound like great deals, but, as always, condition is everything! According to CBTN there were 5791 GTs made in 1967. There were also 2653 GT XR-7s made that year.

NADA:
MERCURY
COUGAR
Model: 2 DOOR HARDTOP
Weight: 3,005
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: $2,851
Low Retail: $3,925
Average Retail: $5,925
High Retail: $8,850
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Optional Equipment
Add-390 4v V8 Engine: 35 %
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Totals
Total Low Retail: $5,299
Total Average Retail: $7,999
Total High Retail: $11,948

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
buy it anytime you can get a BB for that little you have to spend the duckets. 390 engines are going for 500.00 and up out here where they were plentifull so back east i imagine they are even more valuable. Okay you beat my 910.00 for a good xr7 man i thought i held the record for one of the cheapest 69s course i am getting a 67gt for free sans motor of course.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Dooooohhhhh, I need to move to central cali............
Actually that would probably be a bad thing since I would be buying up every other car i would see and be totally broke in no time flat! LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cougar1 said:
Dooooohhhhh, I need to move to central cali............
Actually that would probably be a bad thing since I would be buying up every other car i would see and be totally broke in no time flat! LOL
I know exactly what your talking about!!! My wife about kills me when I come across good deals on cars, as it has been very dificult to say no! The 69 Xr7 for $400 I just bought, makes #23 for me, and if I buy the 67GT, that would be #24.

I'm running out of room to put cars!!!!

BTW, maybe I should join "CCA" (Classic Car Anonymous) :) and get some help!

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I know thats my problem im out of room plus i can only dedicate so much time with a 57 bird and a 70 cat and a 69 thats about all the animals i can have on one plate at this time course a ranchero would be nice hmmmmm

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hehe I've got 2 Rancheros, 3 classic Tbirds, 4 Cougars(1 vert), 6 classic Mustangs(1 vert), 1 Torino, 2 Nash Metropolitans(1 vert), 2 Karmann Ghias, 1 4x4 Power Wagon, and 2 newer vehicles I use for work! Amazingly, only 6 don't run, and all but 1 are complete.

Too Many toys and not enough time!!!!

·
Registered
794 Posts
my lord! where the hell do you store all of them cars?
I wish I had room to have that many project cars. If the GT is decent condition, 2500 sounds like a good deal.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know... A little here....A little there! :)

I've got a large lot, and what I don't have here is at my storage yard.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
My wife thinks the Nash Metro Verts are the cutest things ever and keeps harping for one. I've been able to hold her off so far as all I've ever come across around here are junk rust buckets. mm

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had my 55 Nash Met Convertible since I was 19, I'm now 40.

It was the least produced of all the years in production, only 1219 were made, and aprox. half of those were exported over seas. So I would dare guess that only a handful (maybe 50?) of the 55's (2nd year production) still exist in the states. A couple of the rarities of the first two years production, was they only came in one solid color unlike the newer two-tone colors as what most people know them by. And the first two years, they had a bar grille something like the 65 Mustang, but a bit more masculine, and a hood scoop similar to the 65 Tbirds.

I've thought about selling a couple of times, but the wife knew I would regret it later and actually hid the pink slip from me! :) She's a good woman!!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
that reminds me... being a driver to many a body shop ive seen alot of cars that are in limbo. there are the old Stangs that every lot seems to have at least one of. but there is one that has an old Nash there. covered in dust and grime and looks like its been sitting for years. maybe they will sell it. hell a guy i work with just bought a 68 Camaro thats been sitting on a body shops lot for $500. so anythings possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Damn! U da man!
I have only 4 Cadillacs and 2 Lincolns and a 98 in my yard.... When my check comes this month, I be gettin' a battery for them.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Whiz, I know there pretty rare and I'm actually a pretty big Rambler/AMC fan. I'm not that much in the know about #'s for the Metro's though. My Dad had a hard top when I was about 8 and it was pretty rough back then. How many years were they made? I ran across a couple really nice Converts at the James Dean run last fall and got some pics of them if you wanted to see them would be glad to e-mail them to you.mm

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Whizco said:
Hehe I've got 2 Rancheros, 3 classic Tbirds, 4 Cougars(1 vert), 6 classic Mustangs(1 vert), 1 Torino, 2 Nash Metropolitans(1 vert), 2 Karmann Ghias, 1 4x4 Power Wagon, and 2 newer vehicles I use for work! Amazingly, only 6 don't run, and all but 1 are complete.

Too Many toys and not enough time!!!!

Hey Doug you can park some of your cats down at my place....... I'm only 40 minutes south of ya....:1poke: :1poke: :D

Don

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
modifiedmark said:
How many years were they made?

Hey Mark,

They were made from 1954 to 1962, but was actually in production only to 1960 or thereabouts. By that time AMC/Nash merged and decided to halt production and to sell the remainder mets. as 61 & 62 model years until they ran out. So if you purchased a 1962 model, you were actually buying a 2 year old "new" car! Some folks think they were ahead of their time, and if they had come 10 years later when the imports really started making waves, they would of been on top.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts