Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So I am not a real tech person. Currently the 67 has a 302 and (I assume) a C4 trans.
302 is sick. I have a 390 from a 68 Galaxie with GT exhaust manifolds on it and a C6 trans that I want to put in. I know that the Motor and transmission should fit, and I will probably need to change drive line. What about the motor mounts, are they the same for both motors, if so, great! Engine and tranny swap in a Day. If not, what do I need to look for and get to put the 390 into the engine bay.
Thanks for your help.
Lloyd

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
You will need the block plates to mount the engine mounts to the block in a Cougar or Mustang.
Is that a floor shift C-6? Gonna have to rotate or change the transmission manual control lever on the transmission. 1967-69 are the same.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Fellows, Looks like I need to get some parts rounded up. I think the exhaust will be easy and radiator and hoses are original I think.
Like I Have posted before, it is a GT by vin, but has had some things changed, and I understand that the car was Stolen back in 2000, recovered, thinking that was when the 302 and trans was put in.
What is something like mine be worth the way it sets(I know this is highly subjective) 302, auto trans, color changed to Yellow, Black interior(probably mustang) It is. in my opinion, good shape.
If put together, Period correct, not Numbers matching, Correct color combo on outside, be worth....?

Thank you all for your time, everything is appreciated.

Lloyd

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wonder if the C6 trans is still in the car,....maybe just a motor swap?! One less expense if the Big Block radiator is present. I don't know why, but with many carb./intake mods, motor swaps and shade tree repairs,....the stock air cleaner/heat riser and trans kick-down are the first things to go. The kick-down is super important for performance! May want to take a look at the trans mount,...could answer a few questions and save you some $$$ if the C6 trans mount is there.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will try to get it up on the old center pin lift outside the shop(only lift I have) Not worried about it holding, it holds my 8000lb F350. I will look, I know that the center console is not what belongs in the car, think it is from a later car. Does anyone have a picture of the c-6 trans mount and a c-4 so I know exactly what I am looking at. Sorry for the questions folks, but I primarily focus on my old international trucks lately.

Lloyd

1 - 6 of 6 Posts