Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone have a pic of a nice concours or original untouched '67 GT Engine Bay?

I'm researching the GT 3904V decal, and it seems the correct one surrounds the Distributor "divot" on the side of the 3" tall air cleaner..mine is missing a decal.

It's amazing how many small differences there are between a '67 and '68s details-hose clamps, fender bolts, shock top brackets (I think they might all be black painted on '67s?), decals, oil breather cap..

I'd love to just see an complete bay all done-up, though. There are some other decals and hose clamps and belts and PCV hoses I'm missing too.

I'm sure loving this nice, Spartan, accessory/smog/AC pump free compartment, that's for sure! I think I might change the spark plugs just because I can:evil:

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Hey Brian,

Hit Pinkerton up for a photo of Cougar One. That should get you pretty close, ya think?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Brian (and Jeff) I've no problem providing pics of Cougar 1s engine bay but recall that Cougar 1, while it has all of the GT equipment, is not a GT, is not badged as a GT. There's also the chance that the first 8 serial numbered Cougar show cars may have been done differently that the regular production cars in subtle ways, some of which we aren't even aware of. That said, Brian if you need pics give me a holler.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brian (and Jeff) I've no problem providing pics of Cougar 1s engine bay but recall that Cougar 1, while it has all of the GT equipment, is not a GT, is not badged as a GT. There's also the chance that the first 8 serial numbered Cougar show cars may have been done differently that the regular production cars in subtle ways, some of which we aren't even aware of. That said, Brian if you need pics give me a holler.
Thanks Jim,

I think we have it dialed in, but I'd still love to see an inspirational photo of an actual GT if anyone out there has one all done up and pretty ?? Anybody?

Everyone would love pics of Cougar 1 though, and you seem to be gettin' good at posting pics, Jim! :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of a nice concours or original untouched '67 GT Engine Bay?

I'm researching the GT 3904V decal, and it seems the correct one surrounds the Distributor "divot" on the side of the 3" tall air cleaner..mine is missing a decal.

It's amazing how many small differences there are between a '67 and '68s details-hose clamps, fender bolts, shock top brackets (I think they might all be black painted on '67s?), decals, oil breather cap..

I'd love to just see an complete bay all done-up, though. There are some other decals and hose clamps and belts and PCV hoses I'm missing too.

I'm sure loving this nice, Spartan, accessory/smog/AC pump free compartment, that's for sure! I think I might change the spark plugs just because I can:evil:

Thanks!
Brian,
I was going to ask you for pics of your engine compartment as it is now. The picture you posted before looked pretty good. I'd like to have more from different angles, and with the air cleaner removed.
Gerry
Gerry

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
when i got or 67 gt , the shock brackets and all the fender bolts were black---can't rember much else---car was built in january 1967 if i rember correctly---i do have almost all the smog stuff in a box(it was in the trunk)that probably still has the origional finish
doctordesoto

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Brian,
I was going to ask you for pics of your engine compartment as it is now. The picture you posted before looked pretty good. I'd like to have more from different angles, and with the air cleaner removed.
Gerry
Gerry
Gerry,

Here are a couple more..they don't show all that much more, but..

Some items I know are incorrect: (not all can be seen in these pics)

Needs correct Voltage regulator
Radiator hoses should be Autolike
Radiator and PCV clamps should be pedatal style
Water Pump hose should be blue, clamps should be pedastal style?
Power Steering dipstick should be shiny?
Power Steerign pump could be teal (but also accepted black)
Hood latch bracket should have all black phosphate bolts
Belts should be Autolite
Oil breather cap should be Autolite
Heater hose is wrong
Fan Clutch should be original (Napa special not too bad though)
Fan on Alternator should be yellow zinc
Battery is wrong, wiring could be corrected
Needs yellow top coil
engine Tag is in wrong place
bolt for PS pump should be black phosphated
Spark plug wires Autolite
Needs decal on Shock tower (service interval)Passenger side?
Shock absorber mounting bolts black or clear Zinc?

Just to name a few ;)

·
11,000 Posts
Radiator hoses should be Fomoco in '67.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Brian, there's a tag (painted the color of the pump and may be hard to see) mounted to the back of the PS pump around the threads of the high-pressure line. Pumps that were painted black were identified by a W (for Woolridge,a portion of the company name TRW, Thompson-Ramo-Woolridge) stamped on the bottom line of the tag. Now here is how my tag is stamped (my pump is a TRW pump), on the top line it's stamped HBA-BF (HBA-BF1 was also used by Ford). On the botom line the date code is stamped 7-for July(I believe because July is the 7th month and my car was built July 23rd, 1968), W-for the company portion, 10-for the 10th day and 8-for the year, 1968. The HBA-BF or HBA-BF1 code was used in '67-68 for all but Shelby according to The Mustang & Cougar Tagbook. Now, pumps that were painted dark blue metallic were identified by a F stamped on the middle line of the tag for a Thompson pump. Here is how a tag for a Thompson pump would be stamped, on the top line it would be HBA-BF or HBA-BF1, the middle line would be stamped F and the bottom line the date code would be stamped for year (last digit), month(using the standard Ford month-letter sequence), day & shift (either A,B or C). Ford started to paint the pumps two different colors in 1966. I had to use steel wool to remove the paint on my tag to read the codes. John

·
11,000 Posts
The label on top of the air cleaner is a "fantasy" sticker. Ford did not make any stickers that said 390GT High Performance LOL.

The breather cap is a '68 version on the first picture. The second picture I question whether the air cleaner assembly is even the right one.

First one is my 67 XR7 GT and the 2nd is from Mustangs Monthly. I don't think the lable on the top of the air cleaner is correct and my understanding is that due to cube wars at the time "390" labels were not used.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The label on top of the air cleaner is a "fantasy" sticker. Ford did not make any stickers that said 390GT High Performance LOL.

The breather cap is a '68 version on the first picture. The second picture I question whether the air cleaner assembly is even the right one.
Air cleaner looks right but the element is too tall.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Gerry,

Here are a couple more..they don't show all that much more, but..

Thanks Brian.

Anyone know what is the correct windshield washer fluid container?
I see most cougars have the hard plastic container. My parts cougar has the hanging fluid bag.
The GT I am restoring is missing those parts, but it has the hook for the fluid bag. Do all the '67 and '68 cougars have the hook?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know there was a changeover to the hard bottle in "late '67 Model year", but I'm not so sure when that was. My Mid Feb Build '67 has the bottle, though, if that helps :)

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
First one is my 67 XR7 GT and the 2nd is from Mustangs Monthly. I don't think the lable on the top of the air cleaner is correct and my understanding is that due to cube wars at the time "390" labels were not used.
Cavallino, As Royce pointed out your air breather (closed emission) is from later year.
This is the one you want to put on for a more correct look.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-390-427-428-FoMoCo-Chrome-Breather-Cap-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588d33a7ecQQitemZ380326094828QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
The twist on open emission version would be correct for Brian's car. Not a push on.

<table id="Contents Table" width="600" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600">1967 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang 390 Twist-On Oil Cap with FoMoCo Logo (Open Emissions) - Repro
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: 1001566
Price:$34.85

This 48 state oil filler cap fits valve covers that utilize twist-on oil caps. This cap is a reproduction of the original cap that was found on 1967 models with the S code 390. This part features a quality chrome finish along with a crisp "FoMoCo" stamping. At its widest point it is 3" in diameter. The total height is 2 1/4" high including the portion that goes into the valve cover.

</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr><td>
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td width="600"> 1967 Mercury Cougar / Ford Mustang 390 Twist-On Oil Cap with Autolite Logo (Open Emissions) - Repro
(Click Here for More Information or to Order)

Part #: 67oilcap390
Price:$65.00

This 48 state, open emissions oil breather cap was used on 1967 Cougars with the GT 390 package. At its widest point it is 3" in diameter. The total height is 2 1/4" high including the portion that goes into the valve cover. As with most originals the "AUTOLITE" stamping on the top is very faint.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, "would" being the operative word;) whan are you gettin' some of those again, Don?? :)

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts