Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, new here....i was wondering what emissions equipment came on a 67 GT from the factory...im gonna be making a trip to the inspections place sometime and i need to bolt on the factory equipment.
thanks,
jordan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats the thing...i dont know if its just a sniffer test or if i need any equipment...pre 67's dont have to pass anything,but from what i hear i have to have all factory emissions equipment on the car,im thinking it might just be a PCV...i have a 77 460/C6 thats swapped in there but i took all the 77 smog crap off of it. i tried looking on the DOT website for AZ but i couldnt find any specific stuff.perhaps ill give them a call tomorrow and see if they can tell me what i need, if anything.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
In many places, if you swap in a later engine you must retain that engine's smog stuff... I know it sucks, hopefully your laws are nicer than ours out here in California... I want clean air and a clean environment, but the laws (and more specifically their enforcement) need to be revisited.
BTW, I think the only smog stuff my '68 std coupe had was the PCV along with an add-on "Electro-Nox" box that retarded the timing if the engine compartment got too hot, or something like that...(the sensor was mounted to the front of the shock tower, under the solenoid - I can't imagine what meaningful reading could have been taken from there...) That box then connected to the distributors vacuum advance, and basically drained off the vacuum to retard the timing.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
There was no emission requirement for 67 other tan burning oil fumes from crank case. California started requiring stuff before other states so some CA cars have stuff that wasn't on cars sold elsewhere.

I'm in an area with no testing too rural. 20 miles closer to Spokane and everything gets smog test before licensing but doesn't apply to auto's earlier than 73.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts