Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The way I remember it from my first Cougar is that the trunk key worked the glove box lock. BUT>>>

My present Cougar's glove box won't lock. All the keys fit, but don't get the job done. I have one key for the doors and another for the ignition. I assume the ignition was changed by PO. Is it the ignition key that operates the glove box lock?

Not like I have any reason to lock my glove box. It just bugs me.

Any comments/advice?

·
Contributing Member
89 Posts
Hey johnny, not sure about 67's but my 70 uses the trunk key one full turn counter clockwise locks it, my ignition key wont fit

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
67-70 COUGARS KEYS AND LOCKS

HEY ALL, HER'S THE WHOLE SCOOP ON THE LOCKS AND KEY DEAL.
67-70 FOR SURE AND MAYBE THE 71-73 CATS AS WELL HAD A TWO KEY SYSTEM. BOTH DOOR LOCKS AND IGNITION USED THE SQUARE KEY AND THE ROUND TRUNK KEY OPERATED BOTH THE TRUNK AND THE GLOVE BOX..
IF YOUR'S ARE DIFFERENT THEN IT IS NOT RIGHT AND SOMEONE CHANGED ONE OR THE OTHER. PICK YOUR BEST ( PREFERABLY ORIGINAL ) KEY AND HAVE THE OTHERS REKEYED AT YOUR LOCAL LOCK SMITH.. OR BUY A COMPLETE SET ( IGN. AND DOORS) OR ( TRUNK AND GLOVE BOX ). I HAVE SEEN SOME SETS NOS GO UP ON E-BAY IN THE PAST AND SOME OF THE MUSTANG/COUGAR VENDERS SELL THEM. IT IS CHEAPER TO DEAL WITH YOU LOCKSMITH THOUGH.

I HAD A PROMLEM WITH MY 67 RECENTLY-GLOVE BOX UNLOCKED AND TRUNK LOCK OUT BUT NO KEY.( MISSING). I REMOVED THE GLOVE BOX LOCK AND TOOK IT AND THE UNOPENED TRUNK LOCK TO MY LOCAL LOCKSMITH AND HE MADE ONE KEY TO FIT BOTH AND WALLAH.! I'M IN BUSINESS. SEEMS IF A LOCK IS LOCKED AS MY TRUNK WAS, HE COULD ONLY GET IT OPEN TO MAKE A KEY WITH A KEY. MAKE A KEY FOR THE ALREADY OPENED GLOVE BOX AND YOU CAN UNLOCK THE TRUNK. COST ME $12.00..

THIS SHOULD HELP EVERYONE...:)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the straight dope. One less thing to wonder about...
I'll get it keyed right. Sounds like the quick fix.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Both keys work in the lock on my '67, although I think the trunk key is supposed to be the only one that can open it( it seems to work a little smoother).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts