Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased the somewhat expensive ssbc big bite rotors for our 67 gt(factory 4 piston caliper set up )--we've always fought a balance problem so i took them to the local auto machine shop to check the balance on the rotors prior to installation--there not really any better balance than the $ 39.00 napa crappa rotors!!
has anyone found a quallity rotor for this application ?? or is the right way to do it is to have the tire guy balance the rotor/wheel & tire together and keep them indexed ???
doctor

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
catman---thats the way i had them done---but the plot thickens---i talked to ssbc tech and he said they dont balance cuz they're machined all over---there not machined all over and there is balance weights in some of the fin slots , just not enough weight to balance the rotor completely--the other thing i noticed about the ssbc big bite rotors is that the are zinc plated
AFTER the bearing races were put in--so what there are doing is buying the cheapest loaded (studs and races) rotor they can and after slotting and drilling ,they are zinc plating all over and lazer etching on the part number (and making $ 25.00 ea for their effort)---i did question the soft zinc getting balled up in the pads and they said it will go away in time

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thursday night i got colleens 67 back to gether with the BALANCED rotors installed--it was worth all the effort--40 grams is about 5 inches of 1/4 steel rod--the balancing house formed the rods into a u shape and installed them from the center out--they then formed the ends back together on the rotor od and tack welded the ends together-alittle more grinding here and there and every thing is grand--i've tried all different shops to balance the front tires and the result was always somewhat the same--a little vibration in the steering wheel and the corners of the hood dancing around--if you've had a similar problem , give it a try
doctordesoto

·
Registered
733 Posts
Cool! Great post!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Wow, sounds like SSBC sucks, which jives with other things I have read about them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts