Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off.....please no flaming for my following question :angryfi:

My dash pad and gauge panels are in semi sad shape and I'm in need of a fix. I would like to not spend the money required to get a clean used dash pad....I'm not cheap but I think they tend to be overpriced or not much nicer than mine. What I'm debating is installing a 67/68 Mustang dash pad/gauge cluster/above glove box panel (sans Mustang emblems of course). Reproduction pieces can be had for a reasonable price and would be in perfect condition. My car is heavily modified and I think the "dual hump" dash with some Auto Meter gauges (which I already have) and stainless trim would fit my plan nicely.
I'm not as concerned about "style" opinions as I am about "will it work" and if anyone knows if the lower steel portions of the dashes are the same (or close enough). Has anybody attempted this? From what I can tell by looking in magazines and casual observations of some Mustangs at local shows it looks like a pretty simple swap.
Thanks,

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
The lower dash in the two cars is very close, if not exactly the same. You may have to drill(ack) some holes that are not there now, but it should fit. Now for the disclaimer" It's been some years since I had a stang of that vintage apart and I might be wrong" nuf said..

Bruce

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't know if they are the same,either, but my suggestion would be if they are not the same. You could remove the metal dash frame from a mustang and it would probably fit into the cougar chassis.
My guess on a direct swap would be that there is probably a variance in holes in the dash but really don't know. Maybe Royce will see your question and have the answer..........Keith

·
Registered
694 Posts
Another thought would be .............
Unless you really want a mustang dash in your cougar, I would suggest reconsidering replacing what is damaged in your cougar as if you give it a little time I'm sure you can come up with a decent pad at a reasonable price and a standard guage cluster can be had cheap..........Keith

·
11,000 Posts
The Cougar dash structure is the same except there is a extra piece spot welded across the radio speaker area. It will need to be cut away. After that the mustwang stuff will fit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I made one for my '68. It doesnt have the foam pading, but looks ok. I took a piece of wall paneling and, using the old pad as a template, cut it to shape. I then found some leather grained vinyl that the grain pattern closely matched and covered the cut out. I used all the trim pieces i.e. turn signals, wipers, etc. Cost me a total of $8.00 including the spray adhesive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cool....thanks for the info.
I know that I probably could find a decent pad/guage panels at a decent price but then I would be replacing my stuff with only slightly better pieces. To get a new pad and guage panels for less money than I would pay for a pretty good used dash pad is an attractive alternative.
.....and as I said, my car is already very non-stock so a new modified 'stang dash setup with Auto Meter guages would be a nice touch.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Before you do all the swapping, check Mustangsunlimited. They sell molded dash covers that when installed correctly look just like a brand new dash pad. And as for the guage cluster trim, they can be re-chromed or painted with a reflective silver and they look great like that...
Scott

1 - 8 of 8 Posts