Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last time I washed my 67 I got water on the passenger side floor. The heater box isn't attached the way it should be and I was able to get my hand up into the cowel through the vent on the passenger side. I think the water is from a clogged drain in the cowel. Some leaves came out so I think that's what is clogging it. Can someone tell me where it is in the cowel or where the other end of the drain is so I can try to unplug it? THANKS.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
You will need to take your fender off to access the drain hole and plug. Since I have my fenders off, I thought I would take a picture.

The red arrow shows the drain hole that can get clogged with junk. The white arrow points to the access plug.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
From where did the water enter the inside of the car? If water came inside the car from above the side vents, you have cowl rot. If it came in the side vents, maybe you do have a clogged drain.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure this is what happened. My heater box isn't attached to the circular hole in the cowl. I think the cowl filled up with enough water to overflow over the lip of the circular hole and come into the car. I might have to pour a bucket of water in to make sure of where it's coming in. But what your saying is, if I could get my hand up into the cowl hole, I couldn't reach the drain? ahunt191, I'm guessing the open plug hole at the bottom of your photo doesn't go into the cowl. And what a great design (not!) having the cowl drain between the fender and the side of the firewall! I'll repost after I experiment a bit...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GREAT pics, ahunt191. Going to check out where it's leaking and see what i can do. I guess first of all, from looking at these pics, is if I pour a bucket of water into the cowl, and none drips to the ground, I'll know it's clogged. THANKS everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts