Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I am 16 and just purchased my 1st car a 1967 Mercury Cougar hardtop. I had planned on a 93 Mustang 5.0 but when i saw the cougar advertised online i couldnt help my self but drag my mom over to orlando (2-3 hours away from my part of FL) to take a look. the next week i was back with 3 grand in cash 1,800 less then the sellers original price. I had it taken to my home VIA flat bed truck because I still have a learners. About a week has gone buy and I love the car more and more each hour. it has some rust but nothing to bad i hope, the 289 2bbl starts up every time and runs strong the interior is good with the exception of a bolt on the bottow of the drivers seat that always falls out, the headliner, dash and the fact that its 36 years old. lol. but none the less i love the car and hope to get her back to the way she was 36 years ago, with the exception of a beastly engine maybe new maybe the 289 with lots of performance parts. anyway the link is still opened to the site that the seller used to advertise the car, I'd love it if you guys could take a look and tell me what in your eyes the 3 grand got me? any and all replies are wanted even if they are negative, i'd like to know as much as i can about what i have ahead of me considering i have never owned a car none the less worked on one or restored one. but enough of my bable here's the link http://mroddball.homestead.com/files/cougar.html

Thanks again, Alex

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
CONGRATS Alex, a very nice buy, she looks really really nice, I have no idea what prices are like your side of the world but if I were to convert it into our currency it would work out about right for a classic car like that. There are plenty of folk on this site that will be only to happy to answer any questions you have on anything regarding her, we have experts here in every department. I am glad you got the cougar instead of the mustang, lots of them around, but not many 16 year olds can say they own a cougar. Altho' there are quite alot of young guys on this site, some of them have just bought their first cougars, some have owned them for years and are still under 20.:)
Its also great that you have a Mom who will travel 3 hours to take you to get a 36 year old car, most Mom's would freak.

Welcome to the forum.

Dayle

BTW: Don't forget to put her Vin into the CCOA database, heres a link.
http://www.cougarclub.org/database/nationaldatabase.shtml

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
WOAH, Deja Vu. Looks just like my first car, only it's an XR-7. Treat her right. Mine's going through a total restoration and about 2 months from finishing. Good Luck!

Steve

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Very Nice. Congrats. I had a 68 the same color. A lot of fun! Welcome aboard and enjoy!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hello, Alex, I'm Jason Broady. I'm also 16, with my first car being a 1969 XR7 convertible I'm almost done restoring. Anyway, I live in Ocala, in Marion County. That looks like a real nice 67 you got there. There are actually two 16 year olds that I know of who own classic cougars, myself and a friend with a nice 69 black hardtop, Rob Wallace. The Sunshine State Cougar Club hosts Cougar shows here in Florida. I'd recommend you check out their website, which is

http://www.sscconline.com/

Hope to meet you some time, the show season is pretty much over for the year (too hot!), but there's the Turkey Rod Run in the fall. The club has many different classic cougars in attendance, and all in varying conditions. Your car would be very welcome and show very well among the other cars. Let me know if I can ever be of any help. Congrats on the purchase and on getting your licence. My parents and older friends always said it wasn't that big of a deal, but man, were they way off!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Alex,

Looks like a very nice original cat and I think you got a fare deal. I paid $1800 for my first 68 a couple years ago and it turned out to be a nightmare. After redoing the tranny, brakes and steering, the engine died. I decided to do a full restore and found soooo many problems I bought another cat and started over.

Like jason, I am also a member of the Sunshine State Cougar Club, and would encourage you to check out our site and consider becoming a member. Jason is right the show season is pretty much over. Turkey Rod run is a big show Thanksgiving weekend, last year we had a club show at Old Town in October which if it is held this year would be a good first show for you.

The car looks great, have fun with her.

Ron

·
Registered
965 Posts
Alex,
Welcome to the site. I am Jason's father,Jim, and also have 69 conv's. My son and I share this passion and I hope this car brings you much pleasure. Feel free to call on either of us. Join the SSCC. You have a very active member near you in Boca, Barry Margolis (conv cat) who I am sure would be happy to advise you on your car. Again, welcome to the madness!!!!!!

Jim

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Welcome Alex, this is a great place, hope you enjoy your stay...
Nice ride BTW..

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
127 Posts
Glad to see more and more younger people are enjoying the classics. This site will be your best resource for restoring. I know I have learn a lot.

Also, nice to see that I'm not the only crazy mom :D...drove 1 1/2 to buy the 66 Mustang for my 15 year old son. I paid for it and now he gets to restore it...much like yours it shouldn't take too much to make it a great car.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your replies. Jason thanks for the info about the SSCC, plan on looking into it but it just so happens that ill be in the middle of the oean on a big boat (cruise) the weekend of thanksgiving. Thats just my luck. But reguardless I am interested in restoring my car, the only possible non original thing im interested in is Engine, Tranny, and Paint. Even though im quite fond of the lime frost, I'm 100% sure im going to need some pointers on everything i do for the 1st time and i appreciate the offers of help and Question answering. Ya'll will most likely hear from me soon with my 1st project even though im not sure what it will be (most likely squaring away my blinkers). They seem to be a bit, well?.... Not working is how I put it. Anyway thanks again everyone for the words of wisdom.

Alex

·
Registered
133 Posts
Congrats. Looks like a clean ride. Nice sheet metal is very valuable. When I was 16 all I had was a pair of Chuck Taylor's and a protruding thumb to get a ride. :( Those rear tail lights are pretty easy to get working good. Pull all the light sockets out and clean the contacts inside the socket. Also clean the conacts that touch the sheet metal and the sheet metal where they touch. This is the ground and needs a good connection. Now the pricey part. If the sockets are beyond repair you can get inexpensive replacements at the local parts store. As far as the motor and relay down in the left hand side of the trunk you can buy a solid state replacement module at Mustangs Unlimited for about $80. I'm sure there are other places too maybe at a better price. It plugs right in the original harness. You'll have to rely on the others if you want to fix the motor. The relays usually don't go bad. But I've been wrong before. Happy Cougaring.

Ahhh, to be 16 and have joints that aren't all wore out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice you even make me with my 96 envenious. Much better of a first car than my 93 Tempo

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
Alex,
Nice looking Cat!
Just think, your one of the lucky owners that gets to drive your
Cougar all year! There are car shows and cruises all year in Florida.

Don't forget
southeast region
Every Friday night
Tower Shops, located at the SE corner of I-595 and University Drive. South Florida's largest cruise night with 200-400 vehicles in attendance. Vendors, DJ, 50/50, and more. Contact Barry Margolis for more info. S.S.C.C.

central region
Third Saturday of the month
Join with the Central Region in Old Town. Featuring hundreds of cruisers, a parade, 50/50, door prizes, food and beverage, shopping, rides and amusements, live bands, and much more. Contact Bruce Wallace for more info. S.S.C.C.

I went to Old town last Sat. and the cruise lasted for over an hour! The place was filled and it's FREE to show your car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for all the info you guys have given me. you'll be hearing from me soon i expect with more Q's but now that im here i might as well post one. My fuel tanks was replaced by the preveios owner, when he did so he had to dissconnect the fuel gauge. After poking around i found a black rubber plug that fits onto a nut protruding from the front of the tank. i can put this plug on the nut and it will stay for a while (asumming i go over no speed bumps) but the plug doesnt have threads so i know it doesnt screw on and the screw is clearly not what was on the 1st tang and it is to short to keep a firm hold with the black plug that goes to the fuel gauge.. any replies on how to solve my problem are welcomed along with comments realting to the original topic

1 - 15 of 15 Posts