Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im thinking about buying a 67 cougar off a girl i know. it has a 302, automatic tranny and the engine is seized. the boddy is in good condition though. i tried turning the belt but the thing wouldnt budge. so i just had a few questions....
whats the standard tranny in those cars?
and i plan on putting a 420hp 351w in it and was wondering what size the stock rear end is and what kind of suspension components work well on cougars?
and advice would be great
thanks guys
-mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it looks cool. unfortunantly im broke. i need to scrape some change to buy smokes in the morning. but thanks for the info
do you know if it has a 8.8 or a 9" rear?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Most likely would have an 8" rear, though it would probably be a good idea to copy down the dataplate info and check out the options that way.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hello Mike, There were different transmissions depending on the engine that was in the car originally. If it is in fact a 302, instead of a 289, in a 67, that means that the engine was most likely changed at one time. But even a 302 would most likely have a C4 transmission. And as for the rear end, most likely an 8 incher. Check the discussion topic list under "rear axle code"...more info there. If the rear end still has its tag, that's one of the best indicators of what it is. The suspension is very similar (same?) as the mustang of the same year. Check the links on the home page and you will find a vendor's list...lots of suspension components there (you can also click on the Classic Cougar ad at the top of the page).
Just my 3.24 canadian cents worth!:D

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yep, check the tag. Chances are it's a C4 trans and an 8" rear. Not to be confused with 8.8 in the newer mustangs. The 351 W will bolt to the C4. They should both have the six hole bolt pattern. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts