Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I posted in the shout section a few days ago in reference to my 67 cougar with 500 pace flags on the roof line. I am ordering a marti report thanks for the info. Has anyone else seen these on a cougar I am the second owner and bought it off my childhood neighbor here in new jersey. Any info will help thanks again.

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
They have been rumoured as existing and, if i remember rightly, where only found in a junk yard. I believe it was a dealer special

You might be on to something - keep us posted when you get your Marti report

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Could we see a picture please. There were some special 500 emblem '68 Cougars made as a regional dealer promotion, but I've never heard of it for '67.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
<CENTER>Here is a copy and paste on the link posted above:</CENTER><CENTER> </CENTER><CENTER> <CENTER>1968 Ford Mercury Cougar 500 </CENTER><!-- Fred. --><!-- ##BEGIN PPROTECT --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript><!--<!--// block the right mouse click on the pagevar message="Deze pagina is auteursrechtelijk beschermd." function click(e) { //3.0 if (document.all) { if (event.button == 2 || event.button == 3 || event.button == 6 || event.button == 7) { alert(message); return false; } } if (document.layers) { if (e.which == 3) { alert(message); return false; } }} if (document.layers) { document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN); }document.onmousedown=click;// -->function MM_popupMsg(msg) { //v1.0 alert(msg);}function MM_displayStatusMsg(msgStr) { //v1.0 status=msgStr; document.MM_returnValue = true;}function MM_goToURL() { //v3.0 var i, args=MM_goToURL.arguments; document.MM_returnValue = false; for (i=0; i<(args.length-1); i+=2) eval(args+".location='"+args[i+1]+"'");}//--></SCRIPT><!-- ##END PPROTECT --><!-- Fred. --><META content=no http-equiv=imagetoolbar><CENTER><CENTER>
<CENTER>
<CENTER><EMBED height=320 type=video/x-ms-wmv width=370 src="http://www.fordmercurycougarxr7.com/Special Cougar/1968 cougar 500/500.wmv" AUTOSTART="FALSE" LOOP="stop"> <CENTER>Ford Mercury Cougar 500 1968</CENTER>

1968 Cougar 500 The 1968 Cougar 500 appears to have been a regional dealer promotion. They have Cougar script on the rear quarters followed by block 500 letters then a Cyclone style checkered flag. These cars all had white exterior color with either red or black interior. They are based on the standard Cougar. Most are R-code CJ cars: VIN 8F91R5xxxxx. Per Bill Quay, there were 54 of the Cougar 500s built, but not all were 428's. We know of the existence of one small block Cougar 500 in Tennessee: VIN 8F91C5xxxxx. They were sold in the Atlanta (DSO 21) region and the Washington, D.C. (DSO 17) region.

They were all built between May to July of 1968. We presently have one documented as White with Black Vinyl top and originally sold in the Washington, D.C. area, and the small block Cougar 500 in Tennessee. Bill has been in contact with two other people who know the whereabouts of two more of these elusive Cougars.

What may help us immensely to solve these type of mysteries is outlined in Kevin Marti's Cougars By The Numbers book. Any members who live in or around the Atlanta and D.C. areas and who frequent the Public Libraries, may want to search the newspaper archives for Lincoln-Mercury Dealer advertisements. This may shed some light on who, what and why in regard to these special Cougars. </CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER></CENTER>

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my car is wimbledon white with a black vinyl top. The car has been in storage since 1993 so I have no updated full picts. I did replace the floors and torque boxes in the 1989 when i used the car as my first car. Here is a picture of the flags. Hopefully the Marti report will give me some more answers.. 500 flags.jpg photo (1).jpg

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Some years ago, I was at an auto restoration place near me talking about my 68 cougar. He began to talk about a cougar that he saw that was badly hit in the back end. The car was on a trailer and the owner of the car told this guy, "Hey, have you seen the flags" it was an "R" code car and he says he should have got the thing. Since then I have only pictured the older Galaxy flags and never heard of any on a cougar, so I thought he was just pulling my leg. This makes sense now, This was one of those cars and probably ended up in a scrap yard.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
The single checkered flags on the white 68 pictured look like the ones used on front fenders of 64 Mercury Marauders.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I agree with yelowxr7. I think that flag emblem was on some '66 and '67 Cyclones as well. And, I think the "500" emblems were from '68 Galaxies.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello all the Marti report is in. My Cougar was ordered as a Dan Gurney Special which must explain the flags. It was the 102,407 th cougar scheduled for production at Dearborn. And one of 15,166 ordered with the Dan Gurney Special. Thanks for the help out there. I am in the process of finding some picts of the car when I drove it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the flags where not part of the package any idea what package they might have been. And what was part of the package in 1967. Thanks

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
In 1967 the Gurney package was an engine dress up kit, special wheel covers and a sticker in the window.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Buck 32 -- If possible Phil Parcells, the Cougar National Database Manager would like to have a copy of the Marti report on your car. You could either post it here and I'll see to it that he gets it, or if you would prefer you could send it to him directly via email [email protected] Thanks. Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello Jim here is the report I will also send it directly to Phil Parcells. Do you think he might have some ideas about the flags. I have tried looking up dealer installed option and personal choice packages but haven't found much. My car has the engne dress up and If I remember correctly when my father purchased the car from my neighbor it had the hubcaps but no sticker.
Thanks,
Phil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I have tried looking up dealer installed option and personal choice packages but haven't found much.
What I meant by the personal choice package is that someone added the flags on their own because they liked the way they looked. There was no package from Mercury with that name. Sorry for the confusion.

The bottom line is that your Cougar was not built at the factory with those flags. The dealer may have added them prior to the car being sold or a previous owner may have installed them but they were not a factory option.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Phil - Thanks for the marti, and thanks too for sending it on directly to Phil. I believe you'll find that Phil share the general concensus that the flags were added sometime after it left the factory.
Jim

1 - 20 of 26 Posts