Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I am installing the whole tail light system from the 67 Cougar into my 66 Mustang. I have both of the cars schematics. I can not figure witch wires to connect to each other. Thanks to anyone that can help with this stumbling block.
Rick

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Why not just get a mustang harness, and save your self the grief?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have both harness's. I need the mustang power feed color codes to swap to the cougar. I know the colors for mustang's simple left and right but can I connect them to the cougar left and right direct or because of the signal box that switches left to right and interupts the brake lights do I need to connect differently thanks

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
i would think that by the time you get everything to work CORRECTLY , you could get an aftermarket sequencer that would drop right in and most are programable

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do appreciate the help guy's but I think Im not explaining my issue correctly. I have all the 66 mustang wiring and all of the 67 cougar wiring, emerg-flasher, sequencer, electro motor from the trunk. the harness from the cougar end wit three wires on one terminal Og/gr, G/w, bl/red. Anouther three wire terminal bl, blk, blk/bl. I need to try and figure were these connect. So far I think I'm missing a few wire sets.
Thanks for your patients.
Rick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Because of the 1967 Cougar system complexity, I don't recommend this particular conversion.
There are three relays located under the Cougar dash that you are missing: the indicator relay (which
makes the clicking sound), the turn signal relay (controls which indicator light will flash) and an
emergency warning relay (shorts the right and left indicator light together). The circuits are all
described in the 1967 Cougar Sequential Turn Signal manual. If you modify your Mustang
wiring to match this, it should work.

I recommend using a 1969-73 Cougar-based system for Mustang conversions. It is much simpler to
wire and maintain. It uses one sequential control box in the trunk and can be added to a Mustang by
running three additional wires connected to the turn signal switch and stop light switch. The harness
from the control unit can be fabricated using 1157 sockets or modified from a 1967-70 Cougar tail light harness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts