Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here we go again. Can anyone tell me if the 2 brackets are the same for the tank under the drivers fender for the headlights? Also, is the hose fitting supposed to stick out the front or the back? I installed the 2 brackets as I thought they should be and I can only get 1 side to line up with the mounting holes on the tank. And if I mount the tank and the fitting is facing forward, then the headlight bucket covers it (So I think it should be pointed inward. Thanks in advance, you've all been great.

Steve:rolleyes:

·
11,000 Posts
The brackets are both the same but one must mount them properly to make it work right. The fitting must face forward. There is a hole in the headlight bucket and fender that lines up. Take the front wheel off and you can see it all better. It does fit.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Royce, my Vac tank fitting is off center, do you have the same. Will go check it out now.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well? Anyone have an answer????

Steve:eek2:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Been pouring all day here or I would have looked for you. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice, if it is I will try to take a look for you....

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All here's a pic from a part's book I have. It shows a round tank for a 67 and a bigger square one with the hole in the center top. The tank I have has the hole for the fitting on the lower right of the pic from item 3.

:confused:

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I have this. Is this the tank ?????? What about how it attaches if it is?

Attachments

·
11,000 Posts
I have owned several 67's (more than 20) and never seen a round tank like that. Where did you get it and where did you find that illustration? I am learning something new here......

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Royce, it's out of a 12 page illustrated guide I bought on ebay a while ago. It's out of a 1973 Mitchell Manuals Inc. Does it sound genuine? I have also never seen a round one, and I believe my original was a bigger tank.

Steve

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hi Steve, that looks like an A/C or like vacuum reservoir, not the one for the headlight system.

It would be interesting to know if any 67 models were equipped with the round tank. Maybe it existed only on paper? I also have a diagram showing the round tank... http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=393&password=&sort=7&thecat=500 On that diagram, notice the mounting tabs on the tank? Seems the round tank would mount directly to the inner fender with no additional brackets????

In most cases, the reservoir should look like the rectangular tank in your diagram. Here's a pic of a rusty tank:rolleyes: ...

Attachments

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, but what does this thing fit? It was advertised for a cougar, maybe wrong year. If it isn't the right one, does anyone have one lying around? Thanks

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Steve, my tank looks like the one you posted last, if you look under the drivers eyebrow, you can see the hole that fitting has to line up with. If it doesn't, you may have the wrong tank...Let me know what you find...

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bruce, yes I can see the hole, but no way can get my tank to line up with it. Guess I'll be watching ebay for a bit. Can't put the tank in yet anyway, I noticed that there's 2 bolts that mount the headlight bucket that need to go first. Anyway, need to let my battlewounds heal. Was under the car, changing the brackets and could picture it hitting me if it fell. Well, must be clarvoyant or something but the dam thing fell and cut my lip. Talk to ya later

Steve

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Sorry to hear about your mishap, I hate the way the headlight assy is put together. As far as the vacuum tank goes, the doors will still work as long as the engine is running, so you can still drive it without the tank...post some pictures of it going back together.....

Bruce

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
The tank is the same, but the hole pattern is for a different year or different ford application.

Here's an idea that may work.

Get two pieces of medal
the size of a 12 inch ruler. drill three holes in each. Drill Two holes that line up with the hole pattern on the tank and one hole that lines up with the attaching bracket. I think that will work.
Just an idea.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
1970 vacuum tank

I just pulled this off my 70 xr7. it had some aluminum distance pieces in there. it was dirty so i painted it. no leaks, no noise when shaken. :beer:

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bowl, that's the same one I have. Now I know it's for a 70. Bruter thanks for the link. I'll be watching it. It sure looks like the one that will fit, the bracket holes are even correct.'

Steve

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
anyone need a 1970 vacuum tank ? :)

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Sensei69 you need a tank with two nipples for 67, it goes from the check valve to the tank and back to the switch and from the tank to headlights.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts