Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help from everyone about the wiring for the ignition. I have two 67 cougars. One I have had for over 10 years. The other one for 6 years it was a rolling chassis with a transmission in it and no motor. I am having lots of problems with the wiring. Both the cars have different wiring coming out of the ignition. Pink, red, red, and yellow. But I had to buy a new pigtail for the other one since there was nothing there. The pigtail I bought has different wiring than my silver one. So the wiring pigtail came with yellow, red with blue stripe, red with green stripe, green with red stripe. So my question to everyone is how to wire this ignition. Looks like the car has pink, red with blue stripe, yellow, red with yellow. I will post lots of picture following this thread. Any help would be greatly appreciated. DSC05744.jpg DSC05754.jpg DSC05743.jpg

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
1970-Ignition-Switch.jpg

it's a 70 though....?

·
Registered
309 Posts
It looks like you have a 67 standard haress. It is different form the XR-7. The ignition switch for the standard should have the pink (resistance wire that should not be cut or spliced!!) with the red w/yellow stripe together. As you are looking at the back of the switch and place the wire entry at the bottom the yellow wire will be at the top right and the red w/blue stripe will be at the bottom and the pink and red w/yel will be at the top left. If it was a XR-7 harness the pink resistance wire does not go to the ign switch but has a connector on it and it goes to the tach, the green /w red is also part of the XR-7 and it goes to the voltage reg. On the standard that wire (gr/red) goes to a ring connector and is joined with a black/green on the stud of the switch. I hope this helps you I know that most of the electrical diagrams do not include the XR-7 harness, but if you have the electical assembly manual by Jim Osborne (avail at WCCC) it does include the comple wireing for both models. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts