Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a 67 Cougar that is in very good condition. I believe it is the original color of Glacier Blue, but the original sale tag says it was w/ Onyx. The paint could use a freshen up, and I'm wondering where the Onyx color would be? Also there is what appears to be the Vinyl trim from a vinyl roof which goes from behind the rear passenger window, across under the rear window, to the driver side rear window. Did this car, at one time have a vinyl roof that wasn't replaced? Very curious about this. THANKS for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I have seen some cars that were a "two tone", it may be that the car had an onyx roof( painted black), and then was repainted one whole color at some point. Perhaps a Marti report would be of some benefit to you..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I imagine they would have had some sort of trim to seperate the black painted roof from the rest of the car. I wonder if they just used the same trim as they used when they installed a vinyl roof. Maybe the black onyx roof was the poor mans vinyl? I wonder what the extra cost for a vinyl roof went for in 67? Now the decision... go with the black roof or keep it all one. Might have to do a little photoshopping to see what that will look like.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I've seen painted roof cars too, that had the same trim pieces. Red cars, with a white top were pretty popular...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
cograts on your tutone----it was about $ 6.00 cheaper than the vinyl roof----it used the same moulding as the vinyl roof------merc stocked white , black and chrome trim-----black went with black and white with the white----chrome for all the other combos-----fresh glacer blue is a great color---pls do your car with the black top-----most people will ask if the car had a vinyl roof @ one time
doctordesoto---67 gt tu-tone----glacier blue and polar white(with pearl)

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
If it is a factory two tone car and Glacier Blue is the original color with black painted roof, then your door tag will have the color code of QA.

If it had a vinyl top, and it still has the body buck tag then it would be called out as 'BLACK'. (PARCH for white vinyl)

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Are you sure this shade is "glacier" blue, and not tiffany blue? My 67 XR7 has the same code F "tiffany blue", or maybe it is just computer diiferences?

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got some older pictures of the car before this paint job and it does look darker. Maybe it is Tiffany Blue? Would Glacier Blue fade enough to make it look like the Tiffany Blue? The guy I bought it from did a "one step" (paint w/ clear coat) paint job so it is a little faded and dull, no luster. I'm leaning towards keeping the car stock except the black painted roof really isn't appealing to me.
Image1.jpg

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tough to tell but it does look darker, but not by much. Could be the age of the picture, which I can tell is old by the knee high socks and short shorts on the kid in the picture, LOL! Or just the dirt that's covering the car.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Tiffany Blue is a non-metallic color, almost white.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm still leaning towards glacier blue and the fact that it's faded and a "one coat" paint job.
Here it is on a mustang (brittany blue) & my cougar:
1967_00029_02.jpg DSC00834edit.jpg

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yea, I've seen that color chart. In person, the car looks closer to glacier blue.
THANKS 68XR-7Cat for the picture. The vinyl top looks great, I'm just not too sure about the painted black (onyx) top. Would love to keep it "stock" but I think the painted top looks cheap. Like it should have a vinyl top but I painted it instead.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
That must be a photo bucket page, I can't see the image...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Know that this is an older thread, but to put my 1/5 of a dime in, I think that a two tone car is rather rare, I have been told that there were only 72? made in 67. A Marti report would be definitive. I know that mine by door data tag had a two-tone paint of Cinnamon Frost with an Onyx Top. Wonder how many GT cougars were made with two tone 3 speed heavy duty manuals?

Lloyd

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now what do I do? If it's true, only 72 67's were made with the 2 tone paint, would repainting it 2 tone make it more of a collectable? I'm not crazy about the onyx roof and I was leaning towards removing the trim that is still there just to prevent problems with rust from the holes where it bolts down. Of course I would save them, in case. Guess I'll have to research this more. I've got til the end of summer to decide. THANKS lbesq for the info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts