Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing an EFI conversion with a 1990 Mustang 302 with Pro Comp heads installed, but cant seem to get the shorty headers to fit. I'm using the original motor mounts, Zbar for cable clutch, and shorty headers for 1990 mustang. Do I need shorty headers for my 67 year car or the ones I have for a 1990 Mustang? I already have the exhaust installed and working with the manifolds. The length isn't the issue, its the width of the headers that are making a mess of things. I've already shaved down my upper control arm studs, pounded in the tubes that needed to be dimpled, but they just aren't clearing... Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Headers for 67 cougar must be used. Problem is to find some that work with a cable operated clutch, or are you using the stock setup? Not clear? Check out Mustang steve . Com forum. This has been talked about over and over with 67 stangs.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Check out some of my threads, although I'm using long tubes with a MS cable setup and a Borgeson box in my EFI 67.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
the 90 block would not have the boss an earlier block would have for the Z bar..? SO I ass/u/me you have a cable operated clutch or are using a special bracket of some sort? Where are you experiencing the clearance prob's? Are you running JBA shorties?....need some details

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a TKO500 transmission and the cable didn't seem to get in the way when I had the 302 in with manifolds on. The issue I'm having is the shorty's are too wide and can only get 1 to fit by rocking the engine to one side. Should I have gotten the shorty headers for my 67 Cougar instead of the 90 Mustang? I'm looking at the pictures of both of them and they really look the same.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My headers are DPT MOTORSPORT for 79-93 Mustangs. The cable and kit I got from Ron Morris Perforance (not advertising).

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Headers are chassis dependant as well as engine dependant. Fox body 'stang headers will not fit your Cougar. You need headers for a Cougar / Mustang with either a 289 (67) or 302 (68).

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
^^^ What he said - what a shame those are some nice looking headers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's my first issue now. My collectors are setup for the foxbody headers... They already have the bungs welded on and the retainer is stuck in the middle of the bug and collector opening. Would it be easier to just cut the opening off and slide the old retainer off then insert a reducer for the new header and a exhaust clamp?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah - I would think that'd make your life a bit easier - wait until you decide what headers your going with. You can get them with various styles of connectors. The ball and socket type are becoming more favorable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you guys think these would be my best bet? The stainless steel Patriot ones are for a 68 Mustang. The other ones are the ones I already have. And looking at the tubing I can tell already, at least on the drivers side header, that they are tucked in better.

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have short tube Hedmans on the 68 EFI 5.0 and they fit well. I have long tube Hedman Elites on the 67 EFI and again they fit well... Both have the ball/socket outlet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm reading all the reviews on the Headman headers and they look like the right choice. Do you have any pics of your exhaust setup?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, do the Herman longtubes have any clearance issues with the p/s?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm pretty sure any long tube will have clearance issues with the steering ram. I used a drop down bracket and everything cleared nicely. I have since done away with the factory P/S and added a Borgeson box.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Pics of my headers as requested...

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome info and pics, do you have pics from the shorties?

·
11,000 Posts
They are not even close to being the same. You need headers that fit a 1967 Cougar, not a 1990 Mustang.

I'm using a TKO500 transmission and the cable didn't seem to get in the way when I had the 302 in with manifolds on. The issue I'm having is the shorty's are too wide and can only get 1 to fit by rocking the engine to one side. Should I have gotten the shorty headers for my 67 Cougar instead of the 90 Mustang? I'm looking at the pictures of both of them and they really look the same.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, we've already discussed that and I'm buying Hedman headers 88400. I figure that my best bet. The exhaust I have hung right now doesn't have any issues with the clutch cable melting or clearing rack and pinion. I just wanted to see some pictures of how someone did their shorties.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts