Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I take and modify a '67 or '68 Cougar into a convertible... and do it properly
Then add:
Mildly hopped up '70 429 motor (4v)
New c-6 Street Fighter tranny
9 inch POSI rearend (28 spline) with 3.25 gears
4 wheel disk brakes all the way around
Power steering
Tilt Column
AC (r-134a)
Remove all rust, new complete conv floor pan
Rechrome all trim
New White conv top
and paint it Medium Metallic Gold (7 coats)
4 coats clear
One heck of a buff job
New white interior
Move battery to trunk properly
and a few other customized pieces here and there
What would be the price range that a car like that would sell for considering there aren't that many out there?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
There is a ton of detail work to do this conversion "right", depending on how you define that. I did mine to reflect how the factory might have done it, but then added a bunch of custom touches. One thing I can tell you with confidence - you won't make any money on it. I've seen a couple go no-sale below $15K and I know of one that sold for around $14K. CatVert is, as far as I know, the high-water mark for one of these at $37K.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... Yeah, my bodyman wants to do this '67/'68 Cougar conversion thinking it will make him famous. Problem is... it's at MY expense... I need to sit down with this guy and say, "You want to do it... you pay for the parts, provide the labor and the car is yours to do with as you will." I've got a 70 cougar convertible so in essence I already (kinda) have a convertible that won't be a prototype. I figured it might net somewhere in the $20K range, since the bodyworker is a perfectionist and a helluva painter. I'm definately reconsidering this conversion to either never happen or get shoved to the back burner. I can always log onto the net to look at one and start the convertible up in my driveway and PRETEND it's a 67 or 68. :)

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Now your talking! Nobody has completed a fastback to my knowledge.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have seen pics of a 67 cougar with Shelby taillights spoiler and fender extensions im undecided if I liked it or not but it didn't look bad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts