Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Am I the only one that noticed this car appears to be a 68? Sorry Don, I just had to point it out. Maybe since they did the top wrong they added the wrong side lights and reflectors as well. lol

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
What do you mean by "wrong"? No vert supports or the way the back quarters meet the top?
Any other details?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Here is a link to additional pictures of the car:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23803745

My understanding is that it did get convertible floor pans and some structural reinforcement, but did not get all of the factory-style items such as inner rocker panels and may not have gotten things like the convertible seat risers, etc.

·
11,000 Posts
Looks like the "professional restoration" included using roofing tar to fix all the rusted away areas under the hood.........!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Is this car still in primer gray - just more glossy? Surely you can pick a better color for a Cougar.......just saying.......

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
IDK - looks to be a fairly solid car that they didn't spend much time on anything but the conversion. Of course theres always things that could have been done better, but it looks to be pretty well done for a driver car and has a nice cool factor.....could be a good starter car for somebody wanting to do one anyway. If you went through it again and took care of the issues, it could make a very nice show quality car with mostly elbow grease and a few touch ups/repairs. I agree with the ho-hum color choice - especially for a modded car.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Is this car still in primer gray - just more glossy? Surely you can pick a better color for a Cougar.......just saying.......
No, it's painted. It's a very pale gray, as far as I can tell but look at some of the closeups of the upper quarter body line and you can see the gloss of the paint.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I'm not sure you can say it's "wrong" when there never was a "right" one to begin with. That said, I'm not crazy about the way the quarters were done. The added body line just doesn't jive with the rest of the car.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
No, it's painted. It's a very pale gray, as far as I can tell but look at some of the closeups of the upper quarter body line and you can see the gloss of the paint.
It looks to be the factory light tan color to me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm not a fan of convertibles AT ALL. But a 67?? that looks like a 68 convertible looks freakin SWEEEEET! at least at first glance at least. quarter panels a little weird but still looks better than a mustang!

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I'm not a fan of convertibles AT ALL. But a 67?? that looks like a 68 convertible looks freakin SWEEEEET! at least at first glance at least. quarter panels a little weird but still looks better than a mustang!
The first year for a factory convertible was 1969. CatVert is also a conversion from a '68 hardtop. Here's a link to my 67-68 convertible conversion page, if you haven't seen it yet:

http://webpages.charter.net/bpratt/6768cougarcv.htm

While I think this car is probably worth the asking price, IMHO it is not one of the better conversion projects. It is, however, a good starting point for someone to take the rest of the way or just to drive and enjoy as-is.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It looks like the owner has consigned it to the Auburn Fall RM Auction -

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF11&ID=r864

It's also listed on Hemmings as going to the auction with an estimated auction price of $10 - 15K.
What do you think, Bill? Will it get it?

More importantly, putting a 67 convertible out there for the general public to see might stir the emotions in others to try to make their own convertibles! I have a feeling two years from now, we'll be seeing a lot of 67 and 68 shells with their roofs cut off on ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
What do you think, Bill? Will it get it?
That's a tough call because I know nothing about this particular auction or what type of bidder it draws. If the reserve on the car is set to $10K, I'll be surprised if it does more than meet reserve. There's a lot of work left to do on this car and it's going to have to draw eyeballs from all the other cars there. I'm not sure it's of high enough quality to do that, but we'll see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts