Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,Im new to your great site,,Just picked up a 67 cougar it has a bench seat.When i was looking @ the car the owner said that it came factory with a bench.I'd never seen a bench seat in a cougar this style just what to know if anyone mite know if any 67 cougar came factory like that.2nd thing is the head lights the vacuum lines are not hooked up..and the lights dont come on is the trigger for the lights built in to the vacuum.welp Thanks Ron

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Welcome to MC.NET, please add your location to your profile. Now to answer your 1st question: Yes a bench seat was available in a '67 Cougar. There were a total of 7,395 built in '67. If you'll look on the inside of the drivers door there will be a data tag on there on the lower left corner of the tag it will say "Body" the code should say 65C. If you would like to post all the info on the tag someone will help decifer the codes.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Welcome Ron.

You will definitely want to obtain and get familiar with the '67 shop manual. It has tons of information, including schematics for vacuum and electric systems.

Your vacuum light covers on the '67 are controlled by an electric solenoid under the hood. Pulling on your light switch sends voltage to the solenoid and it in turn controls the vacuum to the headlight covers so they will open. The lights themselves are not controlled by any vacuum and should come on even if the vacuum does not work. You may have some parts missing...

Do you have one of these under your hood?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok here is that code 65C X 4A 21M 52 I W and yes it has that mounted on the driver side inter fender but there are only the head lights run to it no vacuum from the intake im guessing is where they should come from

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
If you wouldn't mind also telling us your 11 character vin number; we'll add it to the Cougar National Database, if in fact it isn't already on there. Thanks.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Vin 7f91a544678 The body seems to be in good shape no rust holes no bondo that i can see so far has 1 hole in the trunk the size of a golf ball

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
ok here is that code 65C X 4A 21M 52 I W and yes it has that mounted on the driver side inter fender but there are only the head lights run to it no vacuum from the intake im guessing is where they should come from
65C-Hardtop standard bench seat, X-Burgundy paint, 4A-Black bench seat, 21M-Schedule for build on Dec. 21,1967, 52-DSO Des Moine,IA Ordering District, I(should be a "1")-3.00 standard axle code, W-C-4 automatic transmission.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks 68puma yeah i seen the car was Burgundy from the factory from inside the trunk.was going to get buckets to put in it but now just gunna keep the bench Thanks alot everyone

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
your welcome Jim, I picked this cougar up last month for $2,500 + a truck load of parts to go with it.. set of windows /head lights/tail lights /wiring/dash pad/2 fenders + 4 boxes of parts i aint had time to look at yet.how many cougars are on this data base? I have had cougars over the years my 1st 67 tho. had 4 1987 cougars and a 1979 wouldnt mind getting another 87-88 i like the body style make a great lookin hot rod i think.Thanks Ron

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Vin 7f91a544678 The body seems to be in good shape no rust holes no bondo that i can see so far has 1 hole in the trunk the size of a golf ball
Here is the break down of your VIN:7-1967, F-Built at Dearborn, 91- Cougar Standard Hardtop, A-289-4V, 544678-44,678 Mercury built at Dearborn.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Welcome to the madness Ron !

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Thanks 68puma yeah i seen the car was Burgundy from the factory from inside the trunk.was going to get buckets to put in it but now just gunna keep the bench Thanks alot everyone
Your welcome, thanks for pointing that out about the paint in the trunk, the paint code for Polar White in '67 is M. I could see where X and M could look simular.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts