Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently the shifter started getting a sloppy feel.This last weekend I removed the console to try to diagnose the issue and found that the horizontal linkage that goes through the tranny tunnel was positioned all the way toward the driver's seat (left of the well it sits in). The pawl was out of the track that prevents putting the tranny in the wrong gear without using the stick button that lifts the pawl.

I went under that car to look for a root cause and found none. There's no missing brackets, no holes for where a bracket could have been mounted, no circlip grooves on the interior side, and no obvious means to maintain the position of the linkage in the proper position.

I jury-rigged something to fix the issue temporarily, but it's not good enough to be permanent.

I attached some photos of the issue. If someone knows how this is supposed to work, I'd appreciate some feedback. If there's interest, I can post a pic of the jury-rig fix. Automotive tire Bumper Rim Gas Bicycle part
Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Automotive exterior
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle door
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim Gas

·
Registered
546 Posts
It looks like the bushings are shot or missing. Look at the website for west coast classic cougar. They have a video on rebuilding the shifter. You should be able to see what should be there in the video.

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks like the bushings are shot or missing. Look at the website for west coast classic cougar. They have a video on rebuilding the shifter. You should be able to see what should be there in the video.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I found a WCCC video title Automatic Floor shifter Rebuild -- 1965-1979 posted on July 19, 2019. I didn't find another, so I'm assuming this is the one you're referring to. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite represent my shifter:
  • The video shows a cast aluminum shifter bucket with the neutral switch in the bucket and an arched gear indicator. My shifter bucket is stamped steel (known by magnet test) the shift indicator is flat and the neutral switch is remote from the shifter. (See attached photo.)
  • Where the video shows replacing bushings, there's a milled access hole in the side of the casting that the shaft from the shifter passes through. Mine is flat-sided with a simple hole in it.
There wasn't any bushing debris in the shifter bucket. The fit of the rod that connects to the tranny linkage with the hole in the shifter bucket is very close.

Hmmm ... just had a thought: could it be that the large diameter rod that goes through the hole in the shifter bucket is supposed to be a press fit into the steel. IIRC, there is something that looks like it could be a bushing between it and the bottom of the shift lever. Could be this separation (or possible separation) was an issue that led Ford to move to the cast part. Or maybe there was a production deadline and they wen with what they had until the cast parts came in.

I wonder if the cast part is fully interchangeable with the steel part or if I should try my hand at welding the part back on. I suck at welding, but I may be up to the challenge.

Spud
Vehicle Motor vehicle Window Gear shift Car seat cover

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hmmm ... just had a thought: could it be that the large diameter rod that goes through the hole in the shifter bucket is supposed to be a press fit into the steel. IIRC, there is something that looks like it could be a bushing between it and the bottom of the shift lever.
Yeah. If you look at the left-most photo in the OP, you can see the bushing. The tube came out of the shifter bucket.

I also took a closer look. The spot welds broke that hold the tube to the side of the shifter bucket. Maybe I will try welding it back on.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The steel piece that holds the bushing and shaft has separated from the shifter bucket. Can’t say I have ever seen that before. Should be easy enough to weld back on, buy you need to ensure it is aligned correctly. If you don’t feel up to the task, you can buy anew or used one pretty easily. NPD normally sells them, but is out of stock.

LEVER ASSY, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION SHIFT SELECTOR - #7210-3C - National Parts Depot

WCCC likely has used ones in stock. EBay probably has them too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep, you need new bushings! My 67 had a funky shifter (I didn't read the other posts so this may be wrong if you have something different) ALl I did was buy those 2 dollar bushings and replaced them! Took maybe an hour. Or 2. Done! It's fantastic now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts