Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a debate here..did a '67 GT come with a fan shroud whether or not it had AC?

What was the situation?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Yes... All 67 390 equipped cars came with one regardless of AC or not. If one is patient you can find a bargain on one for about $1000.00. Bill Basore has a two piece unit on sale, (was a one piece before he stumbled).

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Yes... All 67 390 equipped cars came with one regardless of AC or not. If one is patient you can find a bargain on one for about $1000.00. Bill Basore has a two piece unit on sale, (was a one piece before he stumbled).
The inconvenience of a small community, everyone knows about everyone else's foibles:lolani:

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Don't forget the "Caution Dust" sticker......

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I Dunno, Don. All Due respect, but I've now seen two pictures of '67 cars, no AC, No Shroud..and all of the Shrouded ones I've seen are AC cars. Is there any kind of documentation on this subject written anywere else?

This Thread gives me suspicion..

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/concours-forum/595876-bb-radiator-fan-shroud.html

And in this description below, there is a "non advertized items" list included in the GT Performance group. They mention the heat sheild and shroud as part of the package in "cars with Air Conditoning"

http://www.cougarclub.org/registry/Cougars101/gt.aspx

Am I foggin here? Does anybody have hard and fast evidence either way on this issue?

·
11,000 Posts
If you plan to drive the car in anything but winter weather it needs the shroud. You can make assumptions all day but the fact is it won't stay cool on the road without one. If you want to drive the car a fan shroud is mandatory.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm hearing ya Royce, my driver is a small block;) I'm just curious about what was original from the factory in 67. I've talked to experts here and even67 GT owners here who are unsure. The more looking and asking, the more I'm not sure, rather than assured that they all came with the shroud

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
woops

nm

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
11,000 Posts
I believe they all came with a shroud and a clutch fan.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
From looking at the 1967 Ford products engine assembly manual, pages 164-5, it appears that there is not a fan shroud for our cars without air conditioning.

Two different radiators for the 390 cars, standard radiator and extra cooling radiator. Cars without A/C show without fan shroud (page 164)

Page 165 shows the diagram for 390 cars with air conditioning, it uses the extra cool radiator and uses a fan shroud.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brett Irick's description of the GT Performance group on the CCCOA judging guideline sheet states for '68:

"the Following unadvertised items: A) rubber seal stapled to the top of the radiator support. Sealed off air flow between top of radiator support and hood for improved engine cooling. B) Battery "L " shaped heat sheild added when air conditioner option selected"

Strangely, for '67 it states on B) Battery "L" shaped heat sheild and fan shroud added, when air conditioning option selected. Early model year design battery heat sheild (until January '67?) had a top surface with a hole cut out for battery positive terminal. Late model year sheilds do not have this top surface feature"
C) Rear Brake Proportioning valve mounted in rear brake line before rear axle brake hose (part of disc brake option) thanks to Brett Irick

SO, why is the fan shroud addressed in '67, but not in '68 here? Is it because ALL '68s had fan shrouds, or was it simply left off accidentally?

Hmm..interesting..

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
SO, why is the fan shroud addressed in '67, but not in '68 here? Is it because ALL '68s had fan shrouds, or was it simply left off accidentally?

Hmm..interesting..
Brian, looking in a book called Cougar: A Source Book, it lists heavy duty cooling which included a power booster fan, heavy duty radiator and a fan shroud was standard on the '68 GT with or without A/C. John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Brian, My car has the fan shroud and the rubber seal stapled to the top of the radiator support. My car is not a GT, it has the 6.5 litre option with A/C.
Steven

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK we need to hear from you folks with 67 GT no AC. Anybody??

Hanks for participating :)
t

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Never mind, duplicate post..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts