Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 cougar non-vinyl roof car and like the looks of a vinyl roof so I picked up a set of black moldings all 4 pieces from a 68 in real nice shape. I have the body manual but no dimensions where to drill the holes I layed the trim on there and looks correct but before i drill all those holes is there, was there another way the factory located them ? I know I am removing the front and rear glass. I just located the rear spolier on trunk lid and came out great I can give someone those dimensions if they ever wanted to add one on there trunk. Any help would be great on where to drill all those holes for the 4 pieces of trim.
thanks eric

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What if you were to take some tape, put the non sticky side over the trim and push it down so the studs come through the tape, then take and lay them out on the car so the tape sticks to the car and now shows were the studs are? Not sure If I am describing my idea right but it was a thought.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I plan on doing this myself and I had a friend who brought his 68 over to my place and I took some measurements off of his. So this may help you for a start. The bottom of the molding on the side of the roof will be 7/8's of an inch to the top of the body line. Looking down on the trunk starting at the center of the trunk lid. Measure from the bottom of the trim to the top edge of the trunk lid, should be 2 15/16. Now, measure at the outer far left and right of the trunk lid to trim in the same manner as the center. The measurement should be, 2 11/16, this will be at the body seem that runs from the window to the trunk. I hope this was clear and made sense.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I will take those measurments and check them on car with tape and marker and before I drill check it and check it about 3 times, tonight I am taking off the trim around front and rear glass but not sure why I heard that the glass needs removed,I would think, wants its glued to the steel next to the window seal it would be hidden by the chrome trim when its re installed. should the windshield and rear glass be removed and vinyle goes to opening and trimed with knife ?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I can't remember off hand about the vinyl, it may only go to the lip where the window sits and cut from there. I know the headliner raps around the metal lip and glued.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Trying to line them up with the studs on is very difficult. If you don't have another car to measure the most accurate way is to get another set of moldings and break the studs off. Tape them to the car in the correct position and mark where the studs go. I had a set I use to loan out but the last person did not return them. Guess I should have taken a deposit!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:confused:I was wondering if anyone has a templete or old set of these vinyl roof trims, I was getting ready to drill the holes but I would really like to be sure any help would be great. I measured them but not 100% sure I would hate to have to slot them or move them.
thanks
eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts