Mercury Cougar Owners banner

67-68 side pinstripes?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ChadInman 
#1 ·
After I get my 68 painted I want to put the factory dual pinstrips down the side of my cougar. At a show this past weekend a guy had a nice 67 and he got his pinstripes from Autozone and put them on himself......they looked pretty good. Is there a better alternative? I would like mine to be just like from the factory, didn't they turn down at the back and stop above bumper?

Another question, I see alot of 67 and 68 cougars with body moldings/trim between the wheelwells about halfway up the side of the car, about as long as a foot past each edge of doors. Were these ever factory? If not, what do you think of them and where to get them? The one I saw this past weekend was green and the side trim was chrome with green matching center........thanks in advance......Keith

#3 · (Edited)
Modified7 said:
After I get my 68 painted I want to put the factory dual pinstrips down the side of my cougar. At a show this past weekend a guy had a nice 67 and he got his pinstripes from Autozone and put them on himself......they looked pretty good. Is there a better alternative? I would like mine to be just like from the factory, didn't they turn down at the back and stop above bumper?

Another question, I see alot of 67 and 68 cougars with body moldings/trim between the wheelwells about halfway up the side of the car, about as long as a foot past each edge of doors. Were these ever factory? If not, what do you think of them and where to get them? The one I saw this past weekend was green and the side trim was chrome with green matching center........thanks in advance......Keith
1) Your body shop should know someone who does pinstripes. The painted-on kind, not tape. According to the rule book it's a 3 point item, deduct 2 if it's tape. It also needs to be in the correct location. They should be parrallel, following the upper contour fender line. They do not meet at the ends and they do not "turn down" at the ends. There should be a small break (1/4"?) at fender/caps. I'm not sure of the exact thickness. My 69 stripes look a little too thick possibly.

2) The body moldings were not from the factory. They may have been dealer installed though. If they were dealer installed they wouldn't be the stick on type. Personally I don't like them, but they don't look too bad on 67-68s. I Hate them on 69-70s IMHO. But if you are doing a "driver" I understand the necessity to protect your paint job. Even if (big "if") there were dealer installed side moldings, I wouldn't drill any holes! Use the stick ons. I've seen them at several body shops.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.