797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can get a repro or NOS remote mirror? Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
263 Posts
Remote mirror.

I think the remote mirror is the same as a Mustangs.... in which case Mustangs Unlimited do repo's and i can vouch for their quality of service!! Otherwise try Cougars Unlimited.... they might have an NOS/repo one lying around?? They are alos very good to deal with!! Check out the links pages.

Stu - :D

·
11,000 Posts
The Mustang mirror is different. The head, cable and control are the same but the bracket is angled differently.

The Mustang mirror will block the vent widow and sits at an inconvenient angle for seeing behind you.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Royce, yes I realize that. Plus aren't the ends different? Angled instead of squared off.

Steve

·
11,000 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "ends". The only part that is different is the part that screws to the door.

It is possible to buy a repro 67 Mustang remote mirror and use it to restore a 67 - 68 Cougar mirror. Note that all the available repro's are '67 style with the "bat" handle rather than the "ball" '68 style.

You just have to have the Cougar mounting bracket rechromed, then use the mirror, cable and head assembly from the Mustang repro. The hard part is carefully prying apart the knob where the three cables attach without breaking it.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just out of curiosity, how hard are they to find? i have 2 67 remote mirros lying around, but both are kinda pitted. just want to see if they are worth rechroming or if id be better off finding others out there.

·
11,000 Posts
NOS Cougar mirrors are pretty impossible to find. Rich Ladd had the only ones I have ever heard about. He purchased an assembly line carton containing six 1968 Cougar mirrors.

I bought two for my projects, I think John Benoit bought the remainder of Rich's NOS parts about 5 years ago and has been selling all of it on his web site.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Royce, yes, by the ends I mean the base parts. They are squared off on the Cougar but pointed on the stang.

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts