Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 right hand doors or covers for 67/68 Cougar. I have one of them (of course the one I had powder coated) that the lower center hole boss for screwing the door to the bracket is offset by about two inches while the others are centered. They make a change somewhere in the run? Now I have to get one of the others powder coated wish I had noticed this before!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
One of them have a C7W... casting number? and the other one C8W...?

Pretty sure that the C8W... casting came way late in the 1968 production run.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check those numbers. I bought one single of feebay a while back because it had a perfect cougar emblem and logo and I bet that is the oddball one.

·
11,000 Posts
The pivot point is in a different location on the 1967 / 68 grilles, doors and inner hinge assemblies. You cannot mix the two years. Many of the screw / bolt holes don't line up. You will notice there is a big difference in the area of the grilles where they bolt to the center hood latch assembly too. The 68 units are much stronger.

There are at least two versions of C7W grilles and two versions of C8W grilles. The headlight doors I believe only one variation of each.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The pivot point is in a different location on the 1967 / 68 grilles, doors and inner hinge assemblies. You cannot mix the two years. Many of the screw / bolt holes don't line up. You will notice there is a big difference in the area of the grilles where they bolt to the center hood latch assembly too. The 68 units are much stronger.

There are at least two versions of C7W grilles and two versions of C8W grilles. The headlight doors I believe only one variation of each.
Yikes I didn't want to hear that! I have to go back and look to see if that XR7 I parted out in 2010 is a 68. If so I could have mixed up the grill parts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts