Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Boy, I am hesitant to even touch this one as tempers got flaring last time I brought it up (yes, mine was one of them). Anyway, I've been working this headlight modification between other projects (alternator and new dash harness). I have sorted out all of the wiring aspects on my own using first gen probe headlight motors. When I hook the whole mess up they function as they would need to. Anyway, what I was wondering is if anyone has a picture of the bracketry involved. If you have done the TCCN conversion on a 67-68 and could take some photos, that would be best. If you have the picture from the article, I think just sending the picture would be legal. All I want is a picture of the bracketry involved. I'm not asking for anything illegal here. A picture of ones own car is surely legal and as near as I can tell a pic from the article is no less so. I mean jeez, it's a lousy picture.

·
Registered
488 Posts
can't help with info but i can tell you pictures are protected just as much as text. if the picture was taken by the TCCN for the article then i wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. if the original owner who did the swap took the picture and let TCCN use it, then he owns it and you need his permission to copy it. we have already found out what kind of people we are dealing with and i for one don't want to have to ever deal with them again. hawkrod

·
11,000 Posts
Like this?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So thats the bracket for the probe motor on a 67 or 68? Thanks Royce. That saves me a whole lot of time. Just need to adapt my linkage and I'm in business. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Take some Pics of the finished product

Don

·
Registered
885 Posts
Since I have a vacuum leak somewhere, this conversion is looking quite interesting to me. Post pictures, or all the info. you can. Did you use the RX7 motors? What year RX7?

Steve C.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Conversion

I am going with first generation Ford Probe motors. I have a friend who drives a 69 XR-7 and he did the TCCN modification. Of course the bracketry and linkage are different on the 69, but the wiring is the same. I just used 2 motors instead of the 1 and a larger fuse (I believe the 69 article actually mentions this). Anyway, electrically, it's pretty well sorted out. Of course I'll permanently mount the wires and relays when I am actually ready to convert. But I was figuring on having to do my own brackets and linkage. THe bracket has been provided now all I need is to come up with the linkage. Hey Royce, don't suppose I could hit you up for that too? You can bet I will write up a very thorough article on this as everyone seems to want to do it, but TCCN access is such a touchy subject. At any rate, I am in the process of writing up an article for a GM 3 wire alternator install, so it'll be a while before it's out. The alternator is working well by the way. Just want to make sure all of the wiring gremlins are out before I post it. I have also done a standard to XR7 dash conversion without changing the underdash harness I'll do if anyone is interested Not much to that one though as I just used mechanical gauges and hooked the tach to the MSD box (with adapter).

Michael Kirk

·
11,000 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've got mail.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I hope you will do an article. I might like to try that if I don't have to hack the assembly up too much...

Bruce

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hey I have a 67 Std and I have an XR7 dash I was trying to sell but if its easy to covert it I might use it instead. Get me some info if you can.. Thanks a million...
Scott you can e-mail me if its easier
[email protected]

·
Registered
588 Posts
As both the writer and developer of both kits, why not just ask me direct? While I'm not active on this board (too much to do, not enough time to do it all), my intent for both kits was to put them out there for anyone to use.

Bruce
5x'69

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Bruce, it was a touchy subject awhile ago, and got out of hand. Steve E. wouldnt let ANYONE get info on it, he said it was property of TCCN, and if you werent a member of tccn you couldnt get it, so it was ended. If you could share it with the guys here, that would be great. Thanx

Rick

·
Registered
885 Posts
Bruce,

Did you write the TCCN article mentioned above? Any information you could supply here would be appreciated. My application is a '70 XR 7.

Thanks,

Steve C.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, I wrote both of them. Designed both systems too. What area is giving you a headache, hopefully I have the answer.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well, I'm not that up on copyright issues but as the author I also have certain rights to the material too. To make sure no one here at mercurycougar.net gets in trouble, send all requests for details directly to me at [email protected]. While we can discuss the stuff in general here, I don't think I can repost the articles here until after the TCCN material's fate is decided. I can send info direct to people who ask though me questions, and I will.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts