Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a set of re-chromed dash bezels done by Mr. G's. for my 67 XR7 GT. (Sorry Don...could not wait). Turned out quite nice but final detailing will be needed.

Are the black areas of the bezels a gloss, or a flat/matte finish?

Also thinking of giving them a coat of a clear urethane when done to protect. Of course this would mean the black areas would be glossy as well. Some concern over the clear coat adhering to the new finish. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would suggest SEM trim black.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suggest SEM trim black.
Sounds like SEM is the way to go but does anyone know if the "black" in a XR7 dash bezel was black or more a charcoal and if it has any metal flake in it? Any prep needed on a newly re-chromed bezels?

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
When I picked mine up Mr. G told me they used to do semi gloss on the black painted areas. They don't have a detail person any longer.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
^what Sean said. You don't want yellowing or cracking to happen. Most likely the chrome will look worse with clear over it. What method did they use to chrome it? Vacuum plating? Electroplating? Treat it carefully since it's fragile and easy to scratch/chip/peel. Or if it's a chrome spray paint process like we've been trying to do, then it should be durable as heck.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does sound like i should pass on trying any sort of clear coat. They were done by Mr G's so they are vacuum plated. I'll just have to be real careful with them since i know they will be fragile.

I would wait for the WCCC process to be available if i thought it would be soon. Don is such a tease on new products. I'll probably get my flying car before that...btw...where the heck is my flying car!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts