Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a local guy with this "special" painting process that resembles chrome. I have been eyeballing this $10k system at SEMA for a couple of years but after doing my homework and talking to end users, the system is not for rookies and does take a lot of time to perfect. Glad I did not pull the trigger even though the sales people "insist" it is a blow and go process. This local guy has been doing it for six years and still has a hiccup now and again. Here are some pictures, once he applies the black detail paint I will take some quality photos. Looks like a 67-68 xr7 or std set with RH emblem, the decorative buttons, black paint applied and a minor defect or two repaired will retail (on an exchange basis) for about $200. The good news is I will keep 20 sets on the shelf at all times so the turn around will be instant (most times). This is less than half of what the vacuum and electro plating process generally runs and it appears more durable too! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
From what I can tell from here, it looks really, really good!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
They look great, Don

This is a detail that most cougars could use.
Now, if yo can come up with an "easy" button to get the old ones out without breaKING.

Funny....I mistakenly hit the caps button wilst my finger was leaving the a.....

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Looks like you've hit another home run in the everybody-needs-it department!

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Yeah, count me in on that EVERYBODY list. I'll definitely keep this in mind next time I tear into the dash.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
You never stop to amaze Don!!! Looks real good.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Excellent, Don!

Is this the work of our friend from Mollala, by chance?

Just curious, this makes perfect sense from what his process sounded like!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
My only question would be the durability issue. How well does it hold up over time? Does it tend to yellow or discolor? If it lasts for more than a couple years you can put me down for one.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is more than one brand of system out there and each company claims the other is junk and one should stay away at all costs. At SEMA, the display products all looked very good to me, just as much a chrome look if not more than what we see on NOS Cougar dash bezels. Here are a couple of websites (below) that tout the stuff. Seems like a guy with a paint booth and the ability to put together a website like this could make a killing.

http://goldtouchinc.com/
http://sprayonchrome.com/index2.html

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My only question would be the durability issue. How well does it hold up over time? Does it tend to yellow or discolor? If it lasts for more than a couple years you can put me down for one.
The chromed out BMW has been the same one on display at SEMA for at least three years and each time I see it there is literally a crowd rubbing their hands all over it, non-stop for the whole week. The car did have fine scratches all over it (for obvious reasons) but it has the same clear coat as what you see on any car so it can be polished multiple times (until you wear through the clear coat). This is a paint process and they claim it is no more susceptible to fading than any other exterior automotive paint. Time of course will be the ultimate judge...

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is this the work of our friend from Mollala, by chance?

Just curious, this makes perfect sense from what his process sounded like!
No, this guy is in Silverton as luck would have it. I have talked to a couple of people who own the system and I just had a good "feeling" about him. Plus he was one of the few that was willing to repair minor damage and do the paint detail.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don, If we have a really good, never broken, dash; can you send us back the dash we send you?
Yes and no... Yes I will tell you it is your dash but no, I will just substitute it for one of my mint cores already done and try to forge your hand scratched initials on the back.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Good one, Don!! lol

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually yes, I was kidding... I anticipate the demand to be pretty good on these so it will not take long to get a batch of 50 pieces together to have them done at one time. The reason I need so many pieces is that the product has a rather short shelf life and to keep the price down we want to buy at lease one gallon at a time. Plus, assembly line work is always more efficient than one piece at a time.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
Don is this something everyone with alot of pieces can get done through him or do we

Do we have to send all the cores through you?.. or is he just doing this for you? Or can some of us that have alot of these laying around get the same deals without the middle man or are you asking for everyones cores only in exchange for the service to be done.

Lets us know. Im sure some of us have a few sitting in the garages.

Keep up finding these kind of ways to bring back our old parts, great information.

Also, do we strip down all the guts before shipping to him or you?
John

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I like the idea of ordering off the shelf and sending cores in later. Us daily driver guys don't always have the luxury of waiting for parts to get refurbished.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1.Do we have to send all the cores through you?..

2.Can some of us that have a lot of these laying around get the same deals without the middle man or are you asking for everyones cores only in exchange for the service to be done.

3.Also, do we strip down all the guts before shipping to him or you?
John

1. Yes.
  2. Contact the multiple people that sell these systems and they will gladly point you to the nearest person who has purchased a system like this that offers the service. I chose this guy because I liked him, he will detail and repair them and he is local. If you want to send me several sets I am sure a quantity discount would apply. This person I use is not interested in doing less than 30 sets at a time or fielding phone calls, this is just a slice of his painting business.
  3. Yes, strip it all down, no need to send parts we are not going to restore.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts