Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1poke: Can someone please help me!?!

:1zhelp: I have been considering chopping the top off of one of my Cougs and making a Custom Convertible Conversion out of it. I am having little, actually no success in locating any valuable info on this conversion. I have never seen one in person, only photos from Hot August Nights and misc. Internet pics. I am hoping to see one at the Nationals this year. Does anyone have any info for this project?

"Virgil & Wilma Brown from St. Charles, MO won Best Interior at the 2001 CCOA National Show June 15-17 in Williamsburg, Va. with their '68 Convertible Conversion."

Does anyone know Virgil or Wilma Brown or if they are affiliated with any organization? I live in Stockton, California, home to Mustangs Plus. They have a kit for mustangs and I'm currently looking into trying to modify it to work with my Coug but I would really like to get some facts from someone that has either done the conversion or has seen it first hand. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's a pic of what I am attempting to accomplish:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Keven Marti did the first one that I know of. He's in Phoenix AZ. It's sharp. I have looked it over. It also has been in a few magizens over the years. Don Rush is doing one as a GTE. Hope to see it soon. There are several around. It does make a sharp looker. Neal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you (or anyone for that matter) happen to remember the publications featured the articles on the Custom Convertibles Neal? Has anyone documented the process or is it more of a "to each his own" type conversion? I'm just trying to find out how much fabricating I'm going to get into. I don't mind the work, I would prefer to do it as efficiently as possible though. If I can take existing pieces/products and modify them to work with my application instead of making/fabricating my own I'd rather do that! I have another idea for my Custom Convertible but i'd like to aquire as much knowledge as possible before attacking this project. Any info is greatly appreciated!

James

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Beacuse I am having trouble locating solid info for putting a top on my Coug if I decide to chop it I have been considering going totally topless. I have two Coug's so I'd have one that I can drive daily and the Chop-Top to ride in the summertime!

I know what it would take to accomplish a "Ronster" look for my Coug... Logan, please don't get upset with us posting these pics on this link, I just wanted the others to see exactly what options I'm considering and if they have any info that might be helpful in accomplishing this goal!

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I'll see if I can get you some info on what magizens to look for ASAP> I may have them in my collection(some 3000+). Keven used 2 67 mustangs to do his. I think Don is documenting his conversion. Neal.

P.S. I just talked to Don at West Coast Classic Cougars. He said his conversion should be back from the shop in a few weeks. He said to call and he will talk to you about it. His number is 503-921-0438. Good lock. Neal.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woo-Hoo

Thanks Neal! You da man!

I really appreciate you helping me locate this info! I have these two '67's and one of them is just begging for something like this! Thank you for contacting Don as well, I'm calling him right now...

Phones ringing...

I'll let you guys know what I find out!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What am I doing wrong?

Hey Neal, I tried that number you posted but it's coming back as "we're sorry, the number you have reached is not in service, please check the number and dial again... message 222".

AAAHHHHHH!?! :angryfi: Sooo close! I thought that I might have dialed it wrong but I don't think I screwed it up 5 times in a row? Why is this happening to me! :cry:

Could you check and make sure the number is good? I don't know what's wrong?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Correct number, Sorry.

Opps, I must have bumped the caller ID as I was copying the number. Its 503-463-1130 If you change the area code on the other you will get a buddy of mine. Sorry.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK Neal, you're off the hook!

I just got off of the phone with Don, he's a really nice guy by the way, and he gave me all the info I need to make this thing happen! Now the search is on for a '67 Mustang Convertible! Don said that when he recieves his car back from the body shop that he is going to document the process on his website. He informed me that they took photos detailing/outlining the process, I can't wait! Hopefully I'll have aquired a good donor Mustang for my Coug by then...

Thanks again Neal for helping me out!

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Guys, Now you got me going. I looked into this a few months back and couldn't find any info except pics on the web. My baby is in the shop now and most likely will go with a hardtop and be jealous of the conversion. Let me know how you make out. What's the estimated pricew and also is it possible to keep the overhead console in my Xr-7? (probably not, but I'd figure I'd ask) Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cost!?!

You mean this conversion will cost money!?! Nobody told me that!

Seriously, the way it was explained to me gave me the inclination that I can somewhat dictate what the overall cost will be. I was told to find a donor car, a '67 Mustang Conv. to be exact. If you can find a donor for under a grand and most of your parts are salvageable then you're on the right track. You need the following:

All Side Glass (D/P Front and Rear)
Back Seat Metal (to weld into your Coug to accomodate the top)
Trim Boot
Complete Convertible Top (that was a given)
All the Stainless Steel trim

That's pretty much the parts list, I think I left a thing or two out but like I said, Don is going to post the process on the web.

The only money you will really come outta pocket for is your donor car (which that price is totally controlled by what you're willing to pay) and the labor to do the fabricating of metal (if you're not comfortable doing it yourself). One thing you have to keep in mind though is that you get what you pay for!

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad. Probably gonna skip mine for now. Good luck with yours and post some pics when you're done. One thing though, isn't there some sort of Law that is going to be broken in putting MUSTANG parts in a cougar???:D

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
"One thing though, isn't there some sort of Law that is going to be broken in putting MUSTANG parts in a cougar???"

No it's just illegal to put Cougar parts on a mustang. Neal:1poke:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:1poke: Sensei69, it is ok to part out a Stang to bring a Coug to life, but never ever part out a Coug for a Pony...

I can do one better. Tad (TLogan53) and I were searching for a '69 for him. We found one in Texas. If I remember it correctly, it was a convertible "S" code... and he took the 390 and 9" rear out of that '69, along with the disc brake setup, and stuffed it in a.... I can't say it...

ok, pull it together Jimmy...

*Sighs Heavily*... he put it in a Maverick!:cry: He parted a '69 "S"code convertible for a damn Maverick! :cry: It was a 1 out of 102 Engine/Tranny Combo...

That is blasphamy!?!

James:1poke: Tad.... Remember that one?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I saw the white cougar at the nats last year. It was done very nice and looked like factory, another example of a cougar they should have built!!! There is a mustang site that sells the kit to convert a hardtop to a vert. I think the link is at mikes mustang but I'm not sure, I will have to search for it.
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
for a Maverick/?????????????? NOOO!!!!! damn this week just keeps getting worse lol.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts