Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Catz,
Finally got my paws on another RH dealer mirror for 67/8/9 Cougars . Part # C7AB 17743-A. Its the ambidextrous mirror so it can be used either side of car. It is the non remote thin rectangular mirror that only matches non remote mirrors LH. These pasenger side mirrors do not match 67/8/9 mirrors unless the car was built with non remote mirror/s then it matches.
There was no match to a remote mirror till 70 and its a 69 Fairlane mirror that fits as does 70/1.Its however an incorrect match and any and all of you who have the 70 RH mirror pedestal will find it is a little taller than the LH mirror I believe.
This non remote mirror is or was available still from Ford under part # D4/5 application Granada I believe. There were 60 NOS here in Canada at dealers across the country. Somehow I fouled up at Ford one day and during the conversation the wrong paperwork got filled out and RH NOS mirrors are no longer on shelves here in Canada. I urge Catters stateside to see what turns up Ford USA as Ford Canada has none thanks to me OOOPSS. Partsman found something about misslabelling and poof gone. ;-( N E way heres pic

·
11,000 Posts
Ray,
That mirror won't work on 67 - 68 Cougars. It is a universal all Ford products accessory. It blocks the vent window from opening if installed on a 67 - 68. Don't know about 69-70 but it might work on those.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Other mirror trivia...

The racing mirrors for a 71-3 Cougar are the same as the 70-71 Torino. Same base, same angle, etc. That might help those out there looking for mirrors for your Cats.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Royce,

Thanks That early brochure must have thrown me as I knew they were offered but as you mentioned it does not fit right I found today. I believe its still called out in the microfische. Thats what it was I was at Ford with the new one I had just bought from them and it didn't fit right I went back and brought this to Cori's attention hoping for some gasket or whatever and thats how it got pulled from shelves here.Wrong applicatation or something? Ahhhk It does fit 69 correctly as does the RH Fairlane SportMirror D0 witha 1 on top or D1 w/O on top base/pedesatal in 70 for Sport Mirror. The C9O sport base fits as well and is same shape as the D01 except the D10 has the sharp edges smoothed off the C9O. I went thru all this when I put a RH on my Ecat for drivability
Funny Ford saw fit to make mirrors RH but not for Cougar as no W in 3rd shows up till about 72 I believe.
The kit I bought from Ford had about 5 gaskets C9AB-17C701-A, C8OB-A, and a few more with no ID.One says VENTLESS.

·
Registered
889 Posts
How come my mirrors look the same?except the right hand side is not remote and it dose not have the chrome base.my rhs mirror looks nothing like that.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dan You likely have the sport mirror on your passenger side as xr7s have sport mirrors on drivers side. The mirror shown above is a non remote, non sport mirror for Cougars non xr7s.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Reviving an old thread because of my spare parts bin....

I have a driver's side remote mirror, but I don't know what it's from. The base is different than the one I have, but I was pretty sure it came off of a Cougar.

The P/N is C7AB-17743-B...
The body of the mirror looks like mine, but the base is more... I don't know.... bullet shaped?

There is a rubber spacer/gasket with it P/N C80B-17C701-B

Anybody, anybody?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Doing some additional searching through the archives (for OTHER parts) I came across another thread that suggests that this is a Mustang mirror? Am I really that unlucky? ;)
Again, this is a remote driver's side mirror.

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A in 3rd is full size Ford and NOT a Cougar or Mustang mirror its for a full size Ford. W for Cougar and Z for Mustang. I have several remote mirrors for 67/70 if needed email me.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The mirror for Mustang has a Z in third and for Cougar a W in third. When its an A in 3rd thats full size Ford. If you look at any of your mirrors bolted onto a Cougar or Mustang you should see the W or Z and not an A. The only A mirror that fits is the one at beginning of thread and is non remote. A Z and W all have different offsets to the bases.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
So the one one Ebay is incorrect? Not from '67 Mustang as the seller claims?

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would say the seller is either missinformed doesn't know any better or decieveing. The mirror head is same the base is not. Its why when we want a new remote for a 67/8 we buy Mustang mirrors and change the pedestal. I think you'll find the A mirror will interfere with windows as it will be too far inbound.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts