Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Digging around on my cat today. Discovered that my front calipers are completely gone(missing). AGH! I've looked at the prices of them. With no core its gonna cost a small fortune to get them.

I don't suppose anyone around has some '67 4-piston calipers lying around would they? I figure it couldn't hurt to ask. If its of any relevance at all(the calipers aren't different from Std. and XR-7 are they?), the car is a '67 XR-7 S-code with power brakes. If no one has them here...I guess I'll have to go bug some :chain:<-Mustang guys. LOL Or put those plans for a paint job off.

Like my dad always said...."Its always something, but it'll work out."

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
I bought a set of rebuilt ones for under $100 exchanged which was half of what everyone wants. I think with a core charge you'd still be about even of $180 each which is what all of the vendors sell 'em for.
One of the aftermarket conversion comapnies had new calipers for sale outright. not SSBC though I just checked.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You could always try to find a set of 68-later spindles and just use the more modern single piston calipers. They would probably cost you less in the long run.

Another option is to find a 70s Granada/Monarch or Maverick/Comet in the junkyard and get those spindles, rotors and calipers. Parts for those are even much cheaper to replace than the Mustang/Cougar type.

I have a set of the early 4-piston disc brake setups laying around. It is from a 66 Mustang. Only one caliper though, and it is only good for a core. Everything else is there -- caliper brackets, spindles, dust shields. I got them for free(!) from a guy cleaning out his garage. If you wanna pay for shipping...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts