Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend who is really tightwaddish with a 67 390 4v 3 speed car.
It has a 735 holley, I suppose. it's very stock looking. The whole car is down to the manifolds.
Anywho-
He wants a new dual line fuel inlet on the carb but doesn't think it will fit properly. The line is only 20 bucks, but he doesn't want to waste money. Anyone done this? Does it work right?
Thanks

·
11,000 Posts
The original carb on that car is a 600 CFM Holley. It looks physically identicl to a 735 Holley, just has different butterfly and venturi size as well as different part numbers stamped on the air horn.

The dual line fitting will fit but won't allow use of the stock choke lines. He will have to change both the bowl adapters too, the dual feed line requires 3/8" adapters while the original bowl connecting line is 1/4". He would also need to change the front float bowl to the single inlet type because the filter inlet would be surplus to his needs.

I think he's wasting his money, there will be no performance advantage on a street driven 390. All told it would cost something like this:
Fuel line = $20
Fuel inlet fittings = $20
Float bowl, single inlet center pivot = $35
Gasket set = $20

As you can see he is halfway to the price of a new Holley 750. I recommend keeping the 600 CFM carb stock to avoid hurting its value and getting a 750 Holley if more performance is the goal.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips Royce. I'm not much on stock parts these days. Your help is appreciated, but I already threw up my hands and said to hel with it.
The guy who owns the car is kind of a redneck who picked it up for a song. He already has it for sale AND is talking about replacing the 390 with a 427 he says he has laying around. Plus, it's a mustang fastback.
Anywho. Knowledge is power. Thanks for sharing some.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Are you talking about the transfer line that goes along the right side of the carb on the GT 390 Holleys? The were there from the factory, so why in the world would he think it wouldn't fit on his application? The fuel feed to the primary bowl is on the driver's side, then the transfer line goes from the front to the rear bowl on the right side of the carb. Those dual inlet center pivot primary bowls are getting hard to find these days.

Back when I had loaned BetaCat to my kid sister, she had a carb problem (fuel leak at the fitting) and the gorilla that 'helped' her twisted off the original transfer line on the 66 GT 390 Holley I have on there. She was able to get one made up using standard steel brake line. It isn't as pretty, and doesn't look factory anymore but it gets the job done. That stock transfer line is reproduced by a number of suppliers and they have the correct bending shape to them.

BTW, I'm a big fan of those OEM GT390 Holleys!!!

·
11,000 Posts
I read the question that he wants to install an aftermarket style chrome plated dual feed line as is used on GM Holleys from 1966 - 69.

I am a big fan of the original Holleys on a GT 390 also. Why mess up a good thing?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that's it. He wants a D/P type chrome line.
Yes Virginia, he's and idiot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts