Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like many others at idle, my lights dim, my dashboard directionals don't blink, dashboard dims, due to my alternator not putting out enough juice. When cruising, everything looks good & bright! What is the best replacement alternator I can put in without modding anything? Plug & Play so to speak! No A/C. Anything else that might help? Voltage Regulator, New Battery? THANKS

·
Registered
913 Posts
You could go with a 100 amp alt and a electronic voltage regulator would do the job.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions on make/model 100 amp alternator & regulator and where to buy? Can I just get the alternator and use my stock regulator?

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Get an electronic external regulator for any 80s Ford. You can put the cover from your mechanical regulator on it and no one will be the wiser.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Without changing or modifying the wiring there is not much you can do. The stock charging circuit wiring is too small already and would go up in flames. I'm in the same boat as you and also want more output at low engine RPM's but want to keep everything looking stock. So far I have switched over to an electronic regulator (more efficient) and installed a smaller pulley (spin it faster) on the alternator. It did make a difference but it was not enough. I also had a local rebuilder go though the alternator to see if the rotor and or stator could be upgraded for higher output at low RPM's. He found my alternator already had the best stuff in it already. Nothing more could be done besides installing a physically larger higher output alternator which would require modding or building a new wiring harness.

Bill

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone stole my voltage regulator! I have to learn to check things out before assuming something. My alternator is hooked directly into the solenoid. How do I tell what kind of alternator do I have? And my AMP idiot light seems to still work because it light when I turn the car over. Can I just go with a g3 alternator or higher amp alternator?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts