Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this in the trader mag and the guy is here in Florida. Says he has a 66 LTD (too bad it's a 4 door) with a 428 and C6. He didn't know too much but said a friend of his checked out the car and says it's an original 428 car. Seller says car runs great ("incredibly fast" as he put it) and gave me this number off the title 1CN60Q125. I know they put 428's in the 66 Galaxies and was wondering what you guys thought about this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Dang...I thought that was the VIN lol. This guy didn't have much more info. He said he bought it from The Salvation Army of all places. They had it parked in their lot for 2 years and he came across it. They asked him if he'd help get it started and when he did they offered to sell it to him. He said he drove it home leaking trans fluid and fuel everywhere. He replaced the trans, radiator, had the brakes done and a few other things I forgot. Obviously he didn't pay too much. Car supposedly runs and drives great. Has some rust but no rust through and frame and floors solid. He's about an hour and a half away. Maybe I'll take a peak anyway because the calls he got were from people who wanted to strip the car for the engine and trans but he says the car really has potential to be restored and he'd rather sell it to someone who would appreciate it. Mayhbe he'll take $500 for it ;)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
INTERESTING CAR (LTD)

The owner is right about restoring instead of parting it. If one was to check out the production numbers for the LTD, I think they would find that a 428 equipped 4-door LTD is a rare car indeed. Worth restoring as probably most of any remaining LTD's so equipped have already been stripped for the big block parts. Go for it!:D

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah I'll bet the 428 LTD is pretty rare. My friend still has his first car, a 68 plain Jane Galaxy fastback with a 428. Belive me it IS fast. My 69 Torino would wrap the speedo back to 15 mph and he would pass me like he kicked it into passing gear.

The car was never outrun on top end as far as I know and have seen it show nothing but taillights to some supposably fast cars. Vettes, 440 chargers etc. Its a wonder him and I are still alive today. mm

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to take a look at it this weekend. The problem is I only have a one car garage and 3 cars. Neighborhood regulations prohibit overnight parking on the street. Maybe that's a good thing becasue if I had the room I would probably have a boat load of projects. I did meet a friend who has a small used car lot that said I could rent some of his space for storage. Don't think I would keep this car anyway but maybe with a little work I could sell it and turn a profit to finance another Cougar lol

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
1CN60Q125, Hummmm

The first # should be a 6, not a 1. That would be a 1971. The 5th digit should be a Q, recheck the VIN#.

I really like the old LTDs, especially the 4 doors. My dad had a new 68 LTD Brougham 4 dr HT (the "panty cloth interior"). That car could do the most incredible burnouts even with a 390 2 bbl. Yeah, it's definitely worth restoring. But keep it original IMHO.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have a 66 LTD 2 Door fastback, it has an FE engine but it is the 352 4v, it runs strong too. It is a great car. i have the original sales brochure that i found in the car, it is in like new condition.
the old 1960 starliners that had the hot 352 where known to do 160 mph, i have a article on this as well.
there are a lot of obscure, very cool and fast fords out there.
That FE is my favorite engine family.
My 65 galaxie 500 2 dor fastback has a 390 4v, you just have to bump the key, and it starts right up

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
here is a pic of the 66 ltd. it got hit in the front, so i pulled off the front-clip and found a 66 parts car, this is one of three cars i am working on now.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
you bunghole, now i want one :( lol. it looks sweet. maybe i should collect old big Fords. i have a buddy with a 68 New Yorker with a 440. its a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE car, but damn its cool. i should do the same thing but collect blue oval land yachts.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
both, the 65 and the 66 have that on a cloud feel, big ole steering wheel and extreem power steering, steer with your little finger easy. i love my galaxies but my cougar is most special to me.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I did not have my 70 Cougar at the time i took this pic.
(65 Galaxie 500)
It looks like there is to be a Cougar in my future.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i put the original steel 15" rims and the hub caps that i found in the trunk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts