2,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Basically, from late '63-'67. Here's some info on the K code 289 HiPo, just scroll down to the info about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Windsor_engine . John
I had already read about the differences between HiPo and regular 289's in the fantastic book Ford Performance by Pat Ganahl, and other sources too, but wasn't sure exactly which years it was made. What's surprising to me is that a K code in the 64 Mercury wasn't a HiPo. I know you can get fooled if you don't know what you're doing. Thanks for the interesting link. I had never heard of the entire small block family (221-351W) being referred to as "Windsor's".

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
You're welcome Larry, I was surprised also that the K code in the 64 Merc wasn't a 289 HiPo. Glad Don pointed that out. John

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Me and my brothers had a 65 Mustang coupe K code 298 Hipo we use to thrash on around the farm. It was pretty rusty and we never had it on the road (except to do burnouts). Used to drive it around the hay fields like the duke boys. In the lake 70's my dad sent it to the boneyard for $50.00. I was about 12 and have no idea it was "that" special. It was a fun car that I learned to shift in and you couldn't blow it up. We tried with a few missed shifts.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Me and my brothers had a 65 Mustang coupe K code 298 Hipo we use to thrash on around the farm. It was pretty rusty and we never had it on the road (except to do burnouts). Used to drive it around the hay fields like the duke boys. In the lake 70's my dad sent it to the boneyard for $50.00. I was about 12 and have no idea it was "that" special. It was a fun car that I learned to shift in and you couldn't blow it up. We tried with a few missed shifts.
Wow... cool memories, no wonder you turned out to be such a "motor-head"!

·
Registered
564 Posts
The 64 Cyclone was slated to received the 289 HiPO thus the K stamping. It was killed by Iacocco prior to final production. The actual engine that took its place was the D Code 210HP Low Compression 289 4v from the Mustang. The only difference in the Mercury was the larger 1.12 600 CFM Autolite carb, as opposed to the Mustangs 1.08 480 CFM Autolite carb. The A code was not introduced until later in 65 with 10:1/225HP 6 bolt vs 9:1/210HP 5 bolt for the D code.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts