Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I put in a set of Grab-a-trak 1" lowering 620 springs from Mustangs Plus in the summer of 2009. I was expecting the Spings to lower the car, instead it sat about 2" higher than before with the old springs. I figured they just needed time to settle. Well, here I am 2 years and 800 miles later and the front is still sitting higher than the back. Its never really settled down. Anyone else had this problem with their springs? Seems very odd to me. Perhaps Mustangs Plus sent me the wrong springs or I screwed up the installations somewhere. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Your old springs were probably worn bad and settled and when you got the new springs even though they are 1" drop from what it should be it could sit higher than before you took the old springs out but you will have proper spring travel where before you were probably hitting the upper A-arms on the rubber bumpers on the shock towers.

Or there is a possibility that Mustangs Plus did screw up but consider the possibility of the prior first.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have heard this same thing from a lot of people that bought new lowering springs, cut a ring off of your old ones and put them back on, they ride just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Meedle,
sweet ride there, looks great.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
This car has one coil cut off from a set of 1970 XR7 recycled coils.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
This is something I have always wondered about the 620 springs, how much harder is the ride and does it handle better or just the same as the oem springs?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I talked with the folks at Mustangs Plus. They think the problem is that I installed the springs and torqued the suspension while the car was on jacks rather than on the ground (I cant get under it when it's on the ground). They think the suspension is probably just binding high due to this. So, I gotta find a buddy with a car lift and give it a shot. Any idea what suspension components I should loosen and retorque once the car is in the air?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Why not just pick up a set of car ramps. Drive the car up on the ramps loosen what you torqued down, let it settle, and then re-torque. Won't that work?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts