Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HAS ANYONE GOT ANY ADVICE ON HOW TO SWAP A BORG-WARNER 4SPEED OUT & PUT IN A RICHMOND 6SPEED WITH A 429 ENGINE. CURRENT PROBLEM IS: I HAVE A 11 1/2 IN. CLUTCH &A 10 SPLINE INPUT SHAFT ,THE RICHMOND ONLY HAS A 26 SPLINE INPUT SHAFT & NO ONE MAKES A 11 1/2 , 26 SPLINE CLUTCH. ONLY 11 IN. 26 SPLINE ARE AVAILABLE. A 11 IN PRESSURE PLATE WILL NOT BOLT TO MY FLYWHEEL. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tremec install

There are 5 speed Trremecs with custom input shafts to be a direct replacement for the Top Loader. uses all the Top Loader's bell and such. On a non customized Tremec the input shaft is too long---but you can use a spacer to move the trans back---with that, you have to shorten your drive shaft. The Tremec and the Top Loader are both the same length at 24" from mounting face to tail tip.
Let me know if you'd like more info on this swap, let me know.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
429xr7
When I was racing I used to deal with a driveline outfit in South Holland Ill called surge friction that could probably fix you up with the clutch disk that you need. They reline and makeup clutches, flywheels etc. They maybe able to build you an 11.5" disk with the spline you need. I'm sure they could redrill your present flywheel. I once had them machine like 10lbs (maybe it ended up at 10lbs I dont remember back to about 1980)off a stock smallblock flywheel when our rules read no aluminum flywheels. They also rebuilt a pressure plate with stronger springs. Maybe you can find someone in your area that can also do it for you. If not let me know and I will look there number up for you if you need it. Another thought is you could use a 11" disk in a 11.5" pressure plate as long as the lining lined up with the inside of the pressure plate disk surface. You would just be giving up a little disk surface area. As long as your not drag racing an 11" clutch disk aint bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts