Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering, does the ford 3.8 use the same motor mounts, etc. as the 5.0, like the Chevy 3.8 and 4.3 engines use the SBC mounts? And what about the 300 inline 6, Is it the same as the old inline sixes (200, 270, etc.) I got a line on one of these motors for free and my friend has an old 68 mustang thats in pretty good shape except for it's missing engine.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im not exactly sure about the 3.8 but as far as i know its basically a 5L with 2 cylinders lopped off. similar to the 350 and 4.3 engines. i even heard somewhere that the 3.8 can use 5L headers if they are modified. i may be wrong but its a shot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 144/170/200/250 are the same engine family. 1960-1983

The 240/300 was found in trucks 1965-1995. The 240 was the base engine in full size Ford cars 65-72.

A 240/300 requires alot of fabrication to go into a Mustang, more than it is worth.

The 3.8 is taller and wider than a 5.0 It is not a direct bolt in for the V8. It requires different mounts and some fabrication to fit.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh well

Oh well. I was just curious since the whole mess would have been free to do. At any rate, His Stang was originally a 289 car, so I was hoping the 3.8 would have been a drop in. I did some research and found the essex v6 (3.8 and 4.2) was designed as a v6, unlike Chevy's 3.8 and 4.3. Someone else said it shares more with the Cleveland, but I don't know if that's true or not. Guess the only real simularity is the bellhousing bolt pattern, so this would be more than I want to tackle. It's a shame to see the stang just sitting there though. Oh well, at the rate I'm going with my Cougar he may get the 302 in there. Everyone thought the vibration I had was in the tranny, well, I changed it and it's not. Compression was good on the engine too. The harmonic ballancer looks o.k., so I'm at a loss. The fan looked like it wasn't running true, but the shake is still there without the fan belt hooked up, so I'm lost on it. Maybe I'll get a fuel injected 5.0 and give him my motor.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Quite wierd, I was about to post a question asking if the 250 inline 6 would fit into a 1966 Fairlane, that used to have a 289 in it [till about 3 days ago], I can get the car, minus engine, gearbox and diff, and was thinking of putting the I.6, manual 3 speed and diff from the 1969 Ranchero in it, body on the fairlane is in moderately good condition, body on the ranchero is shot to hell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The 250 would bolt in nicely. The only thing you need is the all the 250 mounts, (frame, engine, insolator). The 144/170/200 share the same block dimeinsions. The 250 is an inch wider and taller so mounts and accessory brackets are unique to that engine only. Try fordsix.com those guys are the leaders in everything fordsix, especially in squezing out hp from the small six.

PS even the waterpump is on the same side as the 289 so the radiator will work fine.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Thanks LK. Already have fordsix.com in my VIL page [very important links]. Will be needing them for advice when and if this goes thru, also of course, depending on whether it is a 250, still a bit unsure of that, how do you tell??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Without checking casting numbers it is very hard to tell between the 200 and 250. The easist way I know is to stop by the autoparts store and look at a 200 and 250 waterpump. The 250 pump is much larger and deeper. The 200 and 250 blocks are the same length but the 250 waterpump is about 1 inch deeper, this causes the overall length of the engine to be longer and is why the brackets/pullys will not interchange. The heads on all small sixs interchange, the early heads had a 1.5 inch carb hole. All 250s and later 200s had a 1.75 inch carb hole.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Seeing as the carb is off it might be easier to check the carb hole, I know that we had to have the waterpump rebuilt at an engineering place cos they do not stock them anywhere here, so that is one of the reasons we think it is a 250, I do have the casting number somewhere, if I find it will you be able to tell what it is, unless of cause it is supposed to say 200 or 250, in which case I don't have it, also its an Australian inline 6, not USA.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I don't beleive this, I have just gone back in my e-mails, to check for the casting number and see a reply from a guy in Australia, which I did not see, it says "the 250 has 4 bolts holding the water
pump
> on. The 170/200 has only 3."
How could I have missed that reply, now to check the water pump's bolt, in the morning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Aussies had a 200/221/250 six. I also think that a 70 Aussie six had a 2v vs 1V carb. Either way the Aussie six has a taller deck and a better rod ratio than a US six. If it is an Aussie 200 it will perform better than a US 250 so either way I think you will be pleased.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
The water pump has 3 bolts and it looks like a 17 stamped sort of haphazardly on the block, so guess its a 170. The carb is a Stromberg, single barrel, see pics, sorry if on wrong forum discussion:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts