Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I actually really like this one, I might try to get it even though i just bought an old porsche 911 literally today. Can the experts kind of pick this on apart for me? Anything major wrong/missing? What would be fair money? I know price is super subjective, but a ballpark would be cool. thanks.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Looks like a really nice auction and if I were closer, I would be there. Cougar looks nice and I like the pie safe and eagle head knife.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wow. From the pics, this looks like a 39,000 mi survivor to me and I have a real weakness for original, unrestored cars. A standard X-code, with the seldom seen painted black roof....I am no expert, and factoring in the economy, inspecting it in person, and how many car people are at the auction, my guess is $9,000-14,000. I do know that if it were closer, I would be there bidding.

Fran

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
WOW - if you could walk outta there with that for 8-10 you should be smiling for sure. NICE wish it were closer myself! Good luck if you go.....

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're allowed to make phone bids and absentee bids (with prior arrangement) as well. I may pop in on the Friday before the auction and give it a look-see and grab VIN numbers but I'm not looking for another car.

photos

·
Registered
292 Posts
anyone know what happened with this car? It's no longer on craigslist (ad was flagged)

·
Registered
563 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Looks very original under the hood. I only see a missing fan shroud.

I see an S tube, correct heater blower motor shield, 7 blade fan looks right, and correct looking distributor advance.

Looks like it has the Car & Driver sticker on the window?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What is that side trim? I don't think I have seen that before?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Received this in my Cougar Club email - Putting here for anyone interested:

Hi we have a beautiful one owner, original Cougar at liveauction Sat the 24th. Take a look www.gormanauctions.com to see pictures, vin, door panel info. Click on Sept 24th then click on1968 Cougar.

<font size="3">If you know anyone who is interested please let themknow. It's a beauty.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
Thank you for you time.<o:p></o:p>

Gorman Auctions<o:p></o:p>
135 Manitou Ave<o:p></o:p>
Manitou Springs, CO (just next to Colorado Spgs)<o:p></o:p>
719 687 2400<o:p></o:p>
email [email protected]

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Terry,
I did get to look at the car today and would be happy to answer specific questions anyone may have from my viewpoint.

The paint is not entirely original, it has had a respray at some point as there is some over spray and the pinstripes are taped not paint.

Did you go to look at it c7xr7? looks pretty darn original to me, do you guys think it"s original paint?

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The side trim is an after-market or dealer add on to help prevent the infamous door ding. These were usually pop-riveted on or glued on.

What is that side trim? I don't think I have seen that before?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did it look like there was any rust repair done on it that you could see? I am set up to bid by phone tomorrow, nice to be able to talk to someone who has seen it. they said they only had one other phone bidder registered. the only possible complication is that they need it out of there on tuesday I think.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The car had some minor rust at the base of the backlite, nothing serious. I couldn't or didn't see any other rust issues. A respray always makes me cautious but being a local car here on our high-plains desert I suspect there is very little chance for rust issues if it was not driven much in the winter. There were several people looking at the car while I was there although none of them seemed too knowledgeable about Cougars with the exception of one guy from Denver.

Did it look like there was any rust repair done on it that you could see? I am set up to bid by phone tomorrow, nice to be able to talk to someone who has seen it. they said they only had one other phone bidder registered. the only possible complication is that they need it out of there on tuesday I think.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Can you let us know how things went and what the car sold for after the auction is over?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Terry,

I am the other phone bidder. Since c7xr7 has revealed that the car is not original paint, I'm out. Overall it still looks like a nice car, it just isn't something I'm looking for. Good luck with the auction, I hope you get a good deal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts